partition C becomes E in win7

win7 is installed on partition C while xp is on E.But in win7,the real partition C becomes E and E becomes C.Why?How to change?

I installed win7 in xp with daemon tools and win7137 iso.The last win7 I installed on C is 7100 RC.

In xp,the real partition C also becomes E and E becomes C.But setting E as the primary partition is good because xp is in E.In win7,partition E is set to the primary partition too,but it's bad as win7 is in C.

unawave

Forget drive letters for partitions. They don't exist. The drive letter is given by the running operating system. So:
If you are running XP the XP partition is drive C:
If you are running Windows 7 the Windows 7 partition is drive C:

And this is good so. Because some installer of badly programmed programs installs itself always to drive C:

Best way: Open Windows Explorer and give your drive a name. Instead of "Local disk C:" name it "Windows XP" or "Windows 7" or "Data".

davehc

Essential Member
Premium Supporter
unawave has it correct. In the early days of Vista BEta testing, Microsoft answered conerned posts with that policy. Lettering of HD's and partitions was old stuff. It is a wrench, when we have grown accustomed to them over so many years, but now, it works for me!

solved old problem then encountered new problem

Forget drive letters for partitions. They don't exist. The drive letter is given by the running operating system. So:
If you are running XP the XP partition is drive C:
If you are running Windows 7 the Windows 7 partition is drive C:

And this is good so. Because some installer of badly programmed programs installs itself always to drive C:

Best way: Open Windows Explorer and give your drive a name. Instead of "Local disk C:" name it "Windows XP" or "Windows 7" or "Data".
Thanks.Yes,some installer of badly programmed programs installs itself always to drive C:.

But my problem is when I'm running Windows 7 the Windows 7 partition is drive E:.

I tried some methods like hide drive E: on which xp is, but faild,then I had to format drive C: and reinstall win7137 and it's OK.

But when setting bcd I encountered a trouble.My xp is on drive E:.I input commands below:
bcdedit /create {legacy} /d "windows xp"
bcdedit /set {legacy} drive partition=E:
bcdedit /set {legacy} path \ntldr
bcdedit /displayorder {legacy} /addlast

But I have to copy NTDETECT.COM and boot.ini to drive C:,if not I cannot login in xp.Why?

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.