Windows 10 Partition SSD to prevent win10 from using up all the space?

whiteglint143

Alright I have a 60GB ssd on my desktop and I have noticed Windows is using up almost 60% of my disk space (according to WizTree). Windows is preventing me from deleting some junk (like unneeded upgrade files, OneNote, and even Visual Studio) so I currently have about 5GB of space left even after doing the usual song and dance of deleting unused files.
I decided to buy a new 120Gb ssd and start from scratch. Would it be reasonable to partition the drive to something like 40/80 to kinda keep Windows "quarantined"?

You'll likely run out of space and won't be able to upgrade Window 10 to new builds. What exactly are you trying to delete? Using the disk cleanup utility should get rid of most of what needs to be cleaned up.

Also if this a desktop you should be able to have multiple hard drives in the same system and you could move the Installers directory to the new drive and create a junction that should free up a lot of space and not require reinstalling the operating system.

Last point, if you have hibernate on turning that off should free up space equal to your memory.

Well, since you bought 120gb, use your old 60gb ssd as os drive and 120gb as whatever you want it to. You could partition it but not necessary. Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Ah, I will clarify. I have a desktop with two 3Tb drives and a main 60Gb ssd with Windows on it. One drive is dedicated to software installations and the other drive is for media. I do not have any large programs installed on the ssd but I noticed over time Windows will slowly consume more and more disc space. I noticed one large file was related to hibernation and another was related to upgrade stuff for example. The disc clean up utility only deleted about 500Mb of stuff.

I was able to clear some stuff out but I still have only about 10Gb of free space. Windows has created a few hidden folders like AppData for example that I cannot get rid of. I figure a 30-40Gb partition would be enough for Windows plus a few programs that must be installed on C drive and the remaining space could be used for my other files.

Attachments

• usage.PNG
    usage.PNG
    484.4 KB · Views: 434
That won't be large enough for an upgrade. To remove the hibernation file open an elevated command prompt and type powercfg /h off

• You can also create a directory move everything from C:\Windows\Installer to it
  • Delete the Installer directory
  • From the same elevated command prompt type mklink /J C:\Windows\Installer Path\to\location\files\weremovedto

Back
Top Bottom