Windows 7 PC doesn't see DVD drive

Neddey

Hi,
Am setting up new VAIO PC (rescue discs already made so DVD worked), and changed the partitions (resized C: down and added two more) on my hard drive with Partition Wizard, went easy, using the "default" drive numbers offered, E and F, I assumed that D was not available as the DVD was using it, but maybe was wrong. Now the PC doesn't "see" the DVD drive at all, it doesn't show as a "drive with removeable memory" in My Computer, and putting in software discs to install only results in the drive starting, but stopping again with no action. Need to get it back,
regards and thanks

Start -> diskmgmt.msc

Does the drive appear under Disk Management? If it does, right-click the left portion on the bottom and there will be a drop-down/pop-up to "Change Drive Letter and Paths"

Attachments

• Fullscreen capture 10152010 44402 AM.jpg
    Fullscreen capture 10152010 44402 AM.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 462
Thanks, I thought I could do something like that, but no it doesn't appear in "my computer" or "disk management".
regards

Ensure you download all necessary drivers for the Vaio from the Sony support site. If it still fails to detect, time to call Sony. Since you indicate it is new, here is your chance to get the problem 100% solved before it is too late.

Adding partitions may not solve the problem of a slow hard drive (if that was your initial intent), as all files still exist on the same drive. It can actually degrade performance to an extent. You want to really be careful making partition changes overall. You may try mapping folders as drives in explorer as well as making heavy use of the library options to get around this necessity. I only say this because I have a feeling Sony will recommend that you do a factory-restore if it still can't find the drive.

You may have warranty coverage that would guarantee a quick replacement or even at-home service for a short duration. Some DVD drives on laptops are connected via a ribbon cable which could've broken loose. Others are detachable. A technician with physical access to the machine will be able to determine whether its a problem from making partition changes or whether its a tried and true hardware problem. If you are still able to use CDs and DVDs as boot discs before Windows loads up, you can rule out if its a hardware defect

Back
Top Bottom