Windows 7 PC is not shutting down normally!

gabiibag

Hi there,
It's all about my friend's PC and it has the following configuration:

MB: Asus P5B-E
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420
RAM: 2X Kingmax 512MB DDR2 667MHz => 1GB
VGA: Nvidia GeForce 7300le

The first thing i want to do is to buy a new single RAM memory of 2 GB at 800MHz, because personally I think that the RAM is the weak link of the system.

The first question is: What is the best combination? To have 3GB of RAM at 667MHz or 2GB at 800MHz......? Now with the currently configuration (1GB at 667MHz) the level of used RAM memory in idle is 75%.

The other problem is that every time when the PC is shutting down, the green light turns off and the red one is blinking very fast, giving you the impression that it's always lit; and the red light intensity is very low; (it emits less light). The PC has 2 coolers (one for CPU and other to the power source ...and the VGA doesn't have a cooler) and when the PC is shutting down the phenomenon with the lights happens and one of the coolers will never stop (i don't know which of them)... => the red light is blinking very fast at low light intensity and a cooler is on.....and those will never end up until you will press the shut down button for a few seconds.

The system was configured (installed the OS and the other programs)... by a guy with knowledge and he said that this happens because of the newer OS installed. (Windows 7).
This problem doesn't appear when restarting the PC.... It appears only when the system is shutting down.

The second question is:
Can the small capacity of RAM (1GB) lead to this phenomenon?

The first question is: What is the best combination? To have 3GB of RAM at 667MHz or 2GB at 800MHz......? Now with the currently configuration (1GB at 667MHz) the level of used RAM memory in idle is 75%.

The difference between 667MHz and 800MHz is tiny so if it's more RAM your after then 3GB is certainly better than two..

As for your shutdown issue, have you checked what the settings are under Power options? See the screenshot:

power.jpg

to be honest i haven't checked those settings..... but i think that this is not the problem... if you have read all what i wrote about the problem. If you read and you think that this is the problem... i'll definitely check this... (i think on sunday)

Don't you think that the power source Watts can be the problem? Now i don't know how many Watts it has...

Usually a power problem, let's say a lack of power, only becomes apparent when the system is being pushed and pushed hard. Likely situations are gaming for example. If the system suddenly shuts down or blue screens during a game then the PSU could be a suspect. Do you know the actual output of the PSU? If you open up the case you might be able to see it written on the side of the psu. If it's something like 400W then you should be fine unless it's faulty..

The green lite is the power lite. The red lite is the hard drive activity lite. It's supposed to blink when the hard drive is accessed.
800mhz ram will run at 667mhz on a 1333mhz FSB system. As for the PSU, 400 watt PSUs are ok for onboard video but are no good for any rig with a video card installed. Use an online power supply calculator to tell you what size PSU you require.....

The green lite is the power lite. The red lite is the hard drive activity lite. It's supposed to blink when the hard drive is accessed.
800mhz ram will run at 667mhz on a 1333mhz FSB system. As for the PSU, 400 watt PSUs are ok for onboard video but are no good for any rig with a video card installed. Use an online power supply calculator to tell you what size PSU you require.....

I beg to differ, 400w might be fine for a low end solution but at the end of the day it's amps that's the important number here.

@ kemical

agree 100%. I was going to add in my response that buying name brand equipment and amps on the 12 volt rail are the main consideration in selecting a PSU but unfortunately IMHO experience has taught me that most folks are only aware of the big number stamped on the side of the unit. Selecting a higher wattage PSU usually guarantees they'll get a 12 volt amp sufficient unit.

Last edited:
To the respective system i updated the BIOS to the newest stable one and i also put on the system 3 GB of RAM.
The same problem when shutting down.
I opened the case and you can see in the pictures what is written on the PSU.
How many Watts has the PSU?

Attachments

• DSC00001.jpg
    DSC00001.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 446
  • DSC00002.jpg
    DSC00002.jpg
    422.6 KB · Views: 450
  • DSC00003.jpg
    DSC00003.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 417
  • DSC00004.jpg
    DSC00004.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 441
  • DSC00005.jpg
    DSC00005.jpg
    425.9 KB · Views: 432
Also in the next pictures you can see the new configuration after installing 2x 1GB 800MHz.
The 4 RAMs are running in dual-channel at 667MHz?

Attachments

• DSC00006.jpg
    DSC00006.jpg
    727.7 KB · Views: 416
  • DSC00007.jpg
    DSC00007.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 463
  • DSC00008.jpg
    DSC00008.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 440
  • DSC00009.jpg
    DSC00009.jpg