Windows 10 PC user name is not in the users accounts in control panel

James Anning

I have a PC, that has a User name (names changed for security) ...User name ABCD.
Groing to the Dir C:\Users I can plainly see a directory ABDCZ (again fake username for security)
Other dir under d:\users are the usual that include ABDCZ and the below:
All users
Default user
degault migrated
Public

Going to the control panel, System, I see computer name ABCD-PC and full computer name ABCD-PC.
Going to control panel, user accounts I see ABCD...No other users.

When I login to this PC, from external app, I have to use ABCDZ user name.

How did this happen?

Is say ABCDZ your microsoft online login and the account is just the account name. For example my user account is called nemesis but my login is my microsoft email id.

Really ? Learn something new every day. I never knew this. I'm guessing I've always had the account and user name the same. So? where is it I can edit/look at the user id properties?

so? what is the proper labeling of these?

1) Control panel, system computer name and full name? is this the account with the -PC addendum?
2) Control panel, "USER" accounts...the name implies THIS is the user, but it is ABCD..the account name.
3) in explorer, the C:\Users\ABCDZ? This is obviously my user id.
4) the lock screen comes up with ABCD...again the acct name.

Where would you edit the user id (ABCDZ) is not in control panel, user accounts?

Last edited:
Thats not an account thats the machine name. Like this one is called DEATHSTAR. Like my C:\users has guest default and nemesis I'm actually having trouble exactly where you're seeing the abcd one.

What do you mean by "I'm actually having trouble exactly where you're seeing the abcd one." ?
I'm using "ABCD" as an example user name (do not want to put my real user name here)...I'll try to elaborate on the above:
Keep in mind ABCD is a not my real ...anything, just an example.

1) Going to Control panel, system computer the name is "ABCD-PC" and full name is "ABCD-PC"
2) Going to Control panel, user accounts...the name implies THIS is the user, there is only one user account, it is the local account, administrator and is "ABCD"
3) in windows explorer, going to the directory C:\Users\ there are the normal directories, and "ABCDZ": ....when logging in via a remote app..say real vnc...I have to use "ABCDZ" as the user id. (below are all directories under C:\users\)

All users
Default user
default migrated
Public
ABCDZ

4) when the lock screen comes up with ABCD...and of course the empty password field..again the acct name.

So? I ask:
1) What is ABCD ? is it the account name or user name? if its account name, why is it in "Control panel, user accounts"
2) What is ABCDZ ? its obviously the user id as far as Real VNC is concerned.
3) Where would you edit the user id (ABCDZ) it is not in control panel, user accounts?

Ah ok so now |I get. ABCD is the username name tied to the user folder ABCDZ. So you login into abcdz. Why it differs slightly I haven't a clue but thats what happening. As for renaming it, that would be an awful idea as the account points there.

Ah ok so now |I get. ABCD is the username name tied to the user folder ABCDZ. So you login into abcdz. Why it differs slightly I haven't a clue but thats what happening. As for renaming it, that would be an awful idea as the account points there.

Well is ABCD is the username name tied to the user folder ABCDZ? Cause when i login with real VNC...I have to have the username as
"ABCDZ"

I'm not sure what going on or how this happened. On all my other PC, the account and user id have always been the exact same. I did not know this was possible. However, I still have the same questions:

1) What is ABCD ? is it the account name or user name? if its account name, why is it in "Control panel, user accounts"
3) Where would you edit the user id (ABCDZ) it is not in control panel, user accounts? I'm not saying I want to edit it...only know if it is possible to do.

Account name and username are the same, just different ways of saying. Eg my user name is Nemesis, my account name is also nemesis. That said my girlfriends user name is stella, however by messing with profiles. Her account name is something else.

Account name and username are the same, just different ways of saying. Eg my user name is Nemesis, my account name is also nemesis. That said my girlfriends user name is stella, however by messing with profiles. Her account name is something else.

How can they be the same? one is ABCD the other is ABCDZ.....that......in not the same. again I ask:
3) Where would you edit the user id (ABCDZ) it is not in control panel, user accounts? I'm not saying I want to edit it...only know if it is possible to do.

Back