Windows 7 PC Will Not Resume from Sleep!

sadowling

OK, this has been bothering me for a while...

I have an ASUS P5N7A-VM, latest BIOS, nothing OC'd, no add-in cards, no USB peripherals other than a Logitech MX510 mouse (using the built-in Windows driver). The board has NVIDIA GeForce 9300/nForce 730i chipset and I'm using the onboard graphics. 256 MB of the 2GB system memory is dedicated to the video. Now, the issue is the computer will go into sleep mode no problem, but once I try to resume, everything powers up on command, but there does not seem to be a proper resume. PSU turns on, fans spin up, but no VGA signal is sent to the monitor (stays in standby) and soft power-off (cycling power button, not holding it) does not initiate shut down (in case the computer actually had resumed properly, just was not sending VGA signal to monitor). Anyway, lights are on, but no one is home so to speak. If I hard power off (hold down power button), it will not resume properly on next startup, I must power down, and switch off PSU manually at the back (or unplug) before I can restart. Once I do this, it powers up fine and states that it is Resuming windows, but takes way longer than a normal resume (1 minute or more versus 10 seconds). I have ran the power config report (see below) and have tried various things to address the cited issues. I have tried disabling the offending USB Root hub, but still the issues show up in the analysis (despite being disabled). I have also tried several fresh installs (Vista and Windows 7) with latest drivers. Also note, I'm aware sleep timeout is disabled, it is enabled when I'm troubleshooting the issues. Also note, sleep mode USED to work on this motherboard when I ran Vista x64, but then stopped one day, for no apparent reason and I have not been able to get it to resume from that day forward (in Vista or Windows 7). Anybody's help will be appreciated, especially since my symptoms seem rather common from internet searches (but no one seems to have a solution yet). Thanks in advance.

Sean

Output from powercfg -energy is as follows:

Power Efficiency Diagnostics Report

Computer NameSONATAScan Time2009-09-22T04:02:13ZScan Duration60 seconds System ManufacturerSystem manufacturerSystem Product NameSystem Product NameBIOS Date05/21/2009BIOS Version0514OS Build7100Platform RolePlatformRoleDesktopPlugged IntrueProcess Count46Thread Count616Report GUID{ddc1172b-5c31-4fd9-9e5c-b176a9dfd02a}
Analysis Results

Errors

Power Policy:Sleep timeout is disabled (Plugged In)
The computer is not configured to automatically sleep after a period of inactivity.

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend
The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
Device NameUSB Root HubHost Controller IDPCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0AA7Host Controller LocationPCI bus 0, device 6, function 0Device IDUSB\VID_10DE&PID_0AA7Port Path

USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend
The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use.
Device NameUSB Input DeviceHost Controller IDPCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0AA7Host Controller LocationPCI bus 0, device 6, function 0Device IDUSB\VID_046D&PID_C01DPort Path1

CPU Utilization:processor utilization is high
The average processor utilization during the trace was high. The system will consume less power when the average processor utilization is very low. Review processor utilization for individual processes to determine which applications and services contribute the most to total processor utilization.
Average Utilization (%)6.20

Platform Power Management Capabilities:ACPI _PSD Object Failed Validation
There is a problem with the definition of the ACPI _PSD object on this computer. Installing the latest system firmware (BIOS) may resolve this issue.
Group0Index0

Platform Power Management Capabilities:ACPI _PSD Object Failed Validation
There is a problem with the definition of the ACPI _PSD object on this computer. Installing the latest system firmware (BIOS) may resolve this issue.
Group0Index1

Warnings

Power Policy:802.11 Radio Power Policy is Maximum Performance (Plugged In)
The current power policy for 802.11-compatible wireless network adapters is not configured to use low-power modes.

CPU Utilization:Individual process with significant processor utilization.
This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Namesidebar.exePID2100Average Utilization (%)2.57Module Average Module Utilization (%) \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\mshtml.dll0.57\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe0.33\SystemRoot\System32\win32k.sys0.30

This process is responsible for a significant portion of the total processor utilization recorded during the trace.
Process Namesvchost.exePID2408Average Utilization (%)1.94Module Average Module Utilization (%) \Device\HarddiskVolume1\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Definition Updates\{4FF0A30D-FB67-4B9C-A39D-FF52722AFC9E}\mpengine.dll1.22\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\bcryptprimitives.dll0.29\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe0.19

Process NameSystemPID4Average Utilization (%)0.41Module Average Module Utilization (%) \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\nvlddmkm.sys0.20\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe0.15\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dxgmms1.sys0.02

Process Nameiexplore.exePID1476Average Utilization (%)0.31Module Average Module Utilization (%) \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\SysWOW64\jscript.dll0.16\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\SysWOW64\mshtml.dll0.05\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe0.02

Process Namedwm.exePID2028Average Utilization (%)0.24Module Average Module Utilization (%) \Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\dwmcore.dll0.09\Device\HarddiskVolume1\Windows\System32\nvwgf2umx.dll0.05\SystemRoot\system32\ntoskrnl.exe0.02

Information

Platform Timer Resolution:platform Timer Resolution
The default platform timer resolution is 15.6ms (15625000ns) and should be used whenever the system is idle. If the timer resolution is increased, processor power management technologies may not be effective. The timer resolution may be increased due to multimedia playback or graphical animations.
Current Timer Resolution (100ns units)156000

Power Policy:Active Power Plan
The current power plan in use
Plan Name OEM Balanced Plan GUID{381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e}

Power Policy:power Plan Personality (Plugged In)
The personality of the current power plan when the system is plugged in.
PersonalityBalanced

Power Policy:Video quality (Plugged In)
Enables Windows Media Player to optimize for quality or power savings when playing video.
Quality ModeOptimize for Video Quality

System Availability Requests:Analysis Success
Analysis was successful. No energy efficiency problems were found. No information was returned.

Battery:Analysis Success
Analysis was successful. No energy efficiency problems were found. No information was returned.

Platform Power Management Capabilities:Supported Sleep States
Sleep states allow the computer to enter low-power modes after a period of inactivity. The S3 sleep state is the default sleep state for Windows platforms. The S3 sleep state consumes only enough power to preserve memory contents and allow the computer to resume working quickly. Very few platforms support the S1 or S2 Sleep states.
S1 Sleep SupportedtrueS2 Sleep SupportedfalseS3 Sleep SupportedtrueS4 Sleep Supportedtrue

Platform Power Management Capabilities:processor Power Management Capabilities
Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.
Group0Index0Idle (C) State Count1Performance (P) State Count2Throttle (T) State Count8

Platform Power Management Capabilities:processor Power Management Capabilities
Effective processor power management enables the computer to automatically balance performance and energy consumption.
Group0Index1Idle (C) State Count1Performance (P) State Count2Throttle (T) State Count0

I'm glad I found this post, I am experiencing the exact same issue and have been searching for a couple weeks with no solution. I thought I was alone with this problem.
Please have a look at KB974431, it appeared on my windows update today. The description specifically says that it should fix the 'black screen when resuming' problem so I have high hopes for this one. I'll know if the next couple of days if the fix holds... I guess time will tell. It is a relatively large update (15.8 MB).

hmmm... still got the problem today for the first time since installing the Windows patch. So it seems like it is happening less frequently (I used to have it every day) but not fully fixed.

I am having a similar problem since installing Win 7 Home Premium 32 on Sunday. I find the monitor will randomly go into sleep mode while I am using it and will not wake up, necessitating a reboot. While the screen is black the computer itself still appears to be running.

It happened this morning, and on rebooting I found a message asking me if I would like Windows to help solve the problem. It did whatever it does and reported that I had a problem with my ATI Sapphire 4670 catalyst driver and needed an update. I found the latest version and installed it, but am very disappointed to find I am still getting the problem.

I ran the powercfg -energy utility and it was similar to the one in Sadowling's post, with all that stuff about USB devices not entering suspend, and high cpu usage (which it blamed on AVG). It also told me my mobo doesn't support S3 sleep mode.

If I allow the system to sleep normally the monitor seems to resume OK, likewise if I put it so sleep manually using the sleep button on my keyboard.

I'm honestly not expecting any kind of instant fix at the moment, but I just wanted to give my experience, which does seem to be quite common.

My system is:
ALiveSATA2-GLAN mobo, Athlon x 2 6000, 2gig ram, Radeon 4670

Same problem different Asus Mb

I experienced the black screen for the first time today. I have an ASUS motherboard but different model. I would say this is a Win 7 problem and not a mb problem. I have not looked at KB974431 yet. At least I am not a lone on this one!

I think my problem is graphics related, because I noticed that I was getting the black screen more often when I was using my Intellipoint mouse scroll wheel (I had made sure the drivers for the mouse were up to date). Anyway, I disabled the scrolling and I didn't get the problem at all for a couple of days. I thought I had cured it, but yesterday I was sorting through some photos and many times (although not every time) when I clicked on a thumbnail to bring up the picture to full size it happened. Today I didn't get the problem at all until a few minutes ago just after I had plugged in my Genius Graphics Tablet for the first time after installing Win 7, and at the same time as the desktop background picture changed. Exactly as the picture changed, it crashed and I got the black screen. I do hope that there will be a driver fix at some stage in the not too distant future, or a Win 7 update which addresses this problem as quite a few people seem to be experiencing it.

Same problem here too - Black Screen Fans go 100 percent wake unknown

Hello!

I just joined this forum to support this guy that started the thread. His issue is exactly like mine. I have already asked for support from my motherboard manufacturer but have not recieved any good ideas on what could be causing my resume from sleep issue. Here is my link with my story: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- Windows 7 Black Screen on Resume from sleep

I think my problem is graphics related, because I noticed that I was getting the black screen more often when I was using my Intellipoint mouse scroll wheel (I had made sure the drivers for the mouse were up to date). Anyway, I disabled the scrolling and I didn't get the problem at all for a couple of days. I thought I had cured it, but yesterday I was sorting through some photos and many times (although not every time) when I clicked on a thumbnail to bring up the picture to full size it happened. Today I didn't get the problem at all until a few minutes ago just after I had plugged in my Genius Graphics Tablet for the first time after installing Win 7, and at the same time as the desktop background picture changed. Exactly as the picture changed, it crashed and I got the black screen. I do hope that there will be a driver fix at some stage in the not too distant future, or a Win 7 update which addresses this problem as quite a few people seem to be experiencing it.

Ok, Carol, please start a new thread as your issue is not the same except for the black screen issue. We have no issues like yours when using our computers. Our computers support S3 as yours does not. If you do not have an option in your bios to turn on S3 resuming then your computer needs a bios update if its available.

Check your power supply and the requirments for your video card and let us know how many watts your PSU puts out and how many watts your video card needs minimum to run.

Also It might help if you filled out your profile and so we can see what hardware you have in your computer... Go ahead nad clickk on my name and goto the About me link. its all right there but when i view yours, it just has your name. Just trying to help.

Resume from Sleep Fixed!

haha no more black screen, blinking cursor after hard reset, unplugging my computer because sleep couldnt wake up! no more screetching sound, missing network connection... ITS ALL FIXED!!!

remove any manufacturer power saving programs like ASUS EPU-4 or 6 engine, then go download the free tool : MCE standby tool

Slick Solutions - Home of the MCE Standby Tool (MST)

Fixed my problems and im now happy I didnt waste 300 more dollars to replace iffy hardware that Could be issues.

I still have to use AMD overdrive tool to set my fan speeds from manual 100 percent on to automatic. now my pc is cool and quiet!!

you have to goto like page 5 or 6 in the forums to get the latest version if you have windows 7. the link i gave you has the link to the forums but incase its removed, here it is: Link Removed - Invalid URL

This tool is geared for people who want to have their computer wake to record a tv show or whatever but it also works for normal stuff. i left all options at default except a few, mainly Forcing the USB controller to reset, then allowing my keyboard and mouse to wake the pc without the 1000 issues that came along with it! So to the people who say "Just turn your computer off" GO JUMP IN A LAKE LOL CAUSE I GOT IT WORKING!!!

Didn't work for me

Thanks I tried this and it made no difference for me at all... any further thoughts or help please?

The no resume from sleep mode is a video driver problem. I did some testing of various ATI and Nvida graphics cards. What I found is the Nvida Win 7 drivers work properly and the ATI Win 7 drivers don't. I would avoid sleep mode until Win 7 drivers are available for your graphics card.

The no resume from sleep mode is a video driver problem. I did some testing of various ATI and Nvida graphics cards. What I found is the Nvida Win 7 drivers work properly and the ATI Win 7 drivers don't. I would avoid sleep mode until Win 7 drivers are available for your graphics card.

The MCE standby tool workes 50 percent of the time, other than that it still has these issues WITH the latest ATI DRIVERS for a 2nd generation video card from ATI, so You are wrong!

It could be a certain set of windows 7 drivers that BROKE resume from sleep. It could be a needed BIOS update for your motherboard or a certain Sequence of BIOS settings that need to be in the right order for this to work.

When my pc messes up I have to push the power till it goes off, push on, wait till it gets to login screen, USB is dead 50 percent of the time it does this so lets say i got USB control, then i can login. Once I log in i have no sound (X-Fi PCI Xtremegamer), and have to reboot.

Sometimes it dont even go to login screen and it just has the Video card fans at 100 percent and a black screen or a black screeen sometimes with a blinking cursor in the top left side of my monitor.

Sometimes it gives me a clear resume data and if I dont choose clear data, continuing will hose the computer.

I have been working with computer for 15 years and worked for 4 different comptuer stores with thousands of issues never heard of and I fixed. This issue being my own is RARE, and takes money to troubleshoot due to having to swap out parts to see if THAT WORKED. I feel embarrassed I cannot fix this and will be the only computer that has BEAT me.

Back
Top Bottom