Windows 7 PCI to PCI bridge problem

Frankie1984

Hello all,
I installed Windows 7 on a new partition yesterday and everything seemed to go fine until I tried installing the Nvidia drivers for it. After searching around, I noticed the yellow exclamation mark beside the PCI standard PCI to PCI bridge in the Device Manager. Checked it out and got this error message.

"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

I'm not sure how to fix this as I think this is preventing my graphics card on my PCI-E slot to not be recognized by 7. Everything works fine in XP so I don't believe it's a hardware problem. Can anyone show me the light??

The error message you're encountering, "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)", typically indicates a resource allocation conflict within the system. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and resolve this issue on Windows 7:

### Troubleshooting Steps:
1. Reallocate Resources:
- In the Device Manager, navigate to the "PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge" with the exclamation mark.
- Right-click on it, choose "Properties," and then the "Resources" tab.
- Check which resources are being used and try to manually assign resources to avoid conflicts.

2. Update BIOS:
- Ensure your motherboard BIOS is up to date. Sometimes BIOS updates can resolve resource conflicts.

3. Check for IRQ Conflicts:
- Review the IRQ settings in Device Manager. Look for any sharing of IRQs that might be causing conflicts.

4. Check Driver Updates:
- Ensure all drivers are up to date, especially chipset and motherboard drivers, to prevent resource conflicts.

5. Physical Check:
- Verify that all hardware components are properly seated in their slots and there are no loose connections.

6. System Restore:
- If the issue started after a recent change, consider using System Restore to go back to a point when the problem didn't exist.

7. Resource Monitoring:
- Use the Performance Monitor in Windows 7 to check on resource usage and any potential conflicts.

### Additional Info:
  • You can also try physically reseating the graphics card in the PCI-E slot to ensure a proper connection.
  • If possible, test the graphics card and slot with another compatible system to rule out hardware faults.

By following these steps, you should be able to troubleshoot and potentially resolve the resource conflict preventing your graphics card from being recognized in Windows 7. If you need further assistance, feel free to ask!

Back