Windows 7 PDF from internet

salykin75

I use Windows 7 6048 x64 and enjoy it but now I found one thing that disturb me.
I need to open PDF file from Internet source but can't do it!! The document have alot of levels and links and my reader open only first (main) page. others not accessible.
I tried FOXIT, Adobe Acrobat and Rpofessional but without any results.
Have error : The index associated with this document could not be located
please somebody can halp me??
THANKS IN ADVANCE

See if that directory exists first, then see if the file exists. You may be able to add permissions to the directory or file to make this work. First though, I think I would try running Adobe Acrobat in Compatibility mode and run as Administrator.

thanks for advice.
i run PDF reader as Administrator.
but still have same problem. I even reinslall Windows (maibe it's silly byt it's easy with Acronis).
As I undestand the path to PDF file not correct. (see attachment)

I don't know the answer to your problem. To me though, that path looks invalid. It seems to point to a URL, but that is not how URL's are formatted. Additionally, I have never seen a URL in the /Windows/System32 directory.

Your screenshot shows http:\www.gl-group.com\... A properly formed URL would be http://www.gl-group.com/...

Can you see any part of that path in /Windows/System32/ ?

Sorry, but this is beyond me.

Last edited:
I even don't have http folder in system32
And one more strange thing:
When I open Link Removed due to 404 ErrorLink Removed due to 404 Error from Link Removed - Invalid URL the first and the second level of this document opening in Browser but any link from following PDF Link Removed due to 404 Error (third level) opening Foxit PDF reader in separate window.
If I use ADOBE READER IT JUST DONT WANT OPEN ANY LINKS

thanks for advice.
i run PDF reader as Administrator.
but still have same problem. I even reinslall Windows (maibe it's silly byt it's easy with Acronis).
As I undestand the path to PDF file not correct. (see attachment)

If your problem is to navigate, locate and view an Internet PDF file deep in a sub-sub folder of a PDF document from its Main page which someone has hosted on the WWW, I guess it may not be a problem with your Windows 7, the installed Adobe Acrobat reader or Foxit, it could be a problem with the Internet site itself. See if you can reach their Webmaster for help.

If there is no privacy issue involved , you may post the URL to that Main Page so that one of us can try to reproduce the problem and figure out what you are trying to tell us :)

1. GL - Home

2. Link Removed - Invalid URL

3. Link Removed due to 404 Error

on other computers (XP and Vista) I can open this file without any problems

Thanks

1. GL - Home

2. Rules & Guidelines

3. Rules & Guidelines (PDF)

on other computers (XP and Vista) I can open this file without any problems

Thanks
I could open and view the Rules & Guidelines (PDF) file in Win 7 Beta Bit 32 Build 7077 using Adobe Reader 9.1.0 which is compatible with my Build of Win 7 . Earlier Adobe Reader version 8....was NOT compatible and could not open Rules & Guidelines (PDF) you have listed. I will try the same in my Build 7048 in another partition and let you know the result.

Adobe Reader 9.1.0 is comaptible with Win 7 Bit 64 Build 7048 . I could open & view the linked Rules & Guidelines (PDF) from your message. The answer seems to be installing Adobe 9.1.0 for your problem.

Last edited:
don't work. And I'cant see pdf in browser - Adobe open it in separate window.
(see attachments)
And when I press any links- nothing happens:confused:

maybe I need to unistall all readers and install adobe again?

first attachments - when I choose preferences
second - pdf must be opened in IE?????
I agree; you may have to rule out a corrupt Adobe 9.1.0 install by uninstall and reinstall.
Attached is my JPG image of the view I had of the PDF webpage you linked using my Adobe 9 in Win 7 Beta Bit -64 Build 7048

but did you try to come 3 levels deeper to this pdf/
because this page I also could see
I navigated to page 10 and stopped as I did not know what I was doing :) I took and resized one more Screen Capture for you. See attached JPG image. If you suggest which page you could not reach, I can try to go there. I will try to read the error message from your image once again to see what it might be saying.

but did you try to come 3 levels deeper to this pdf/
because this page I also could see
The same error message is answered at Adobe Reader Forum for the earlier version as shown below. I don't know if this applies to your situation where you could not open a PDF file from the WWW. The following problem seems to be a case where the person has already downloaded and created some files but could not open because he got an error similar to the one in your attached image. Well, you can read on what the Adobe Reader Forum has posted: [ URL at the bottom]

Today, for the first time, an error (warning?) dialog box opens up when I open some of my PDF files. The files use to open without the dialog box, and now it appears when I open some of my files.

After the PDF loads, a dialog box opens which states:

"The index associated with this document (C:\Documents and Settings\*****\Desktop\*****'s Folder\temp10\index.pdx) could not be located."

There is an option to disable the dialog and an "OK" button.

Does anyone know why I keep receiving this message. How do I turn it off without disabling it? Did I change a setting?

I use Adobe Acrobat Professional version 8.1.2

The reason you are getting this error message is, either you have:
1) Deleted/renamed the associated Catalog index (PDX files) from your desktop folder, or
2) Moved your PDF files from original location - thus breaking the PDX-PDF relative path relationship.

To fix this, you should restore the PDX/PDF documents to the original paths on your local hard-disk when you associated Catalog indexes with the PDF documents.

You can find the above Q and A at :
Adobe Forums: Index.pdx Dialog Warning Help

unninstall all PDF readers and after reboot install only Adobe Reader 9.10
Same error and can't open any page exept content page.

___To fix this, you should restore the PDX/PDF documents to the original paths on your local hard-disk when you associated Catalog indexes with the PDF documents.___

Can somebody explain to me how I should restore the pathes in network document??

unninstall all PDF readers and after reboot install only Adobe Reader 9.10
Same error and can't open any page exept content page.

___To fix this, you should restore the PDX/PDF documents to the original paths on your local hard-disk when you associated Catalog indexes with the PDF documents.___

Can somebody explain to me how I should restore the pathes in network document??

Have you installed Adobe Reader 9.1.0 in your Computer you are now posting this message and exchanging information back and forth as we have been doing so far?

If yes, have you created PDF documents in series of sections and sub sections with long file names that could create a long path name to the lowest level of the document or Index?
If the answer to the above is Yes, did you then delete or rename a file and then start to search for it now?

If answer is yes, ,then Adobe Acrobat Reader seems to get a "vertigo" and throws up this incomprehensible error message "The index associated with this document (C:\Documents and Settings\*****\Desktop\*****'s Folder\temp10\index.pdx) could not be located." :) Adobe Reader is unable to cope up with long pathnames it seems!

If you have not created any file but you are trying to open a file that was already created by some others [ I suspect that to be the case as your links are to an Internet PDF Document with several layers (main files and several sub files, sub-sub files etc to several generations deep down) ] and hosted on a WWW site, I doubt you can troubleshoot it from your PC. In that case, I believe it was the 'fault' of the Document creator who hosted that file in the URL you have given here in a previos thread.

I guess the error message is asking you to create the sections with less complexity on your computer and then try the navigation and not to create it with long pathnames on another computer in your Local Area Network and then try to access from a different PC in the same Homenetwork!! In other words, even Adobe 9.1.0 has bugs that need fixing instead of taking the user of their software in a dizzying cyber space flight through great turbulence!
May I suggest you to Post your question to Adobe tech support and see how they want you to troublehoot this very hard to understand error message. When you find a satisfactory answer , you can educate us by posting that here in detail. By the way, did you try to view the same PDF file in earlier Windows ( XP or VISTA) or MAC ( MAC too seems to have same prob) or Linux? Since I have not encountered and solved the same error message the next step is beyond me. I hope others with greater knowledge and skill will step in to help you.

Back