Windows 10 Persisting BSOD - Faulty Drivers not found

Maude1983

Hello Debugging Gods,
my two months old Acer R5-471T-57JD keeps crashing. I got it with Win10 installed but I guess it was updated as I found a Windows.old folder. I've already sent it in and the Motherboard was replaced. Now Memtest86 comes back clean, so I guess that's sorted out. Sfc/scannow never found anything.
The stop codes vary and most of the time the crash takes place in the kernel and no driver can be identified. On two occasions the graphics and the wifi drivers crashed. I updated them manually. All other Drivers were updated via the device manager. I have Driver verifier runnung since last night but still no luck.
Programs (Word, Firefox...) are unstable, too and Windows tells me every now and then that it is changing my Standard apps back to default because it detected Problems.
What did I miss? Any ideas are much appreciated.
Cheers
Maude

Attachments

• W7F_09-06-2016.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 444
Hi Maude,
I'm currently going through your dump files as you know there's a fair number.. :) In the meantime however can you expand on this:
Now Memtest86 comes back clean, so I guess that's sorted out

So were you getting memory error's then?

Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff961c3e82a1b, ffffd00023e9bc40, 0}

GetPointerFromAddress: unable to read from fffff8015a407270
Probably caused by : win32kfull.sys ( win32kfull!xxxCallHook2+62b )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
this is by far the most frequent bugcheck out of those sent. It's usually relates back to corruption with drivers or system data. The system will try and execute a program and an exception will cause the bsod. This is sometimes linked to gpu drivers and you did have a dump file mentioning the Intel driver as a probable cause. The only other driver mentioned was a Atheros wireless driver.

As your probably aware laptop drivers are almost exclusively supplied the manufacturer and in the first instance one should always access your systems support page at ACER.
I did have a check through and some of your dates don't seem to match the versions available.

So first let's try and get your drivers updated properly. Use the page I've linked to (double check it's correct for your system) and go through each driver:
Product support

File scans
Right click on the Start menu icon and from the revealed list choose 'admin command prompt'. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

In the same command prompt and after the above scan has finished type:
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
Press enter and await results (longer this time).

If the first scan found files it could not repair but the second scan is successful, run the first scan again using the same command prompt box and this time it should repair the files found.

See how your running after making the above changes.

Post any new dump files and if you have any questions please post back.

Hey kemical,
thanks so much for taking the time! I found memory errors before I sent in the laptop to Acer customer service. But as the motherboard has been replaced and memtest doesn't find anything now, I hope they really got the hardware problem by its root. I will retry sfc, I have only tried the first scan so far. As for the drivers, how would you proceed? Just use the setup program attached to the drivers on the support website or go to each device in the device manager list and try with the downloaded data? I read in another forum that this was the best choice but when I look at the drivers list I see many drivers that don't seem to be linked to a device listed at Windows' device manager.
I will get back to you after the file scan.
Kind regards
Maude

As for the drivers, how would you proceed? Just use the setup program attached to the drivers on the support website
Basically yes. You should find the drivers in the remove programs section, Uninstall and then install the updated driver.

Do make sure you download the drivers first before removing the originals.

Whilst using Device manager is perhaps the cleanest way to update a driver it's not always the most desirable. Using device manager will see only the driver installed and any control panels or managers like the nvidia control panel will have to installed separately.
I tend to only use this method if a driver is being stubborn otherwise i simply use the install manager that comes with each driver.

These drivers will contain files relating to your components and it's not always obvious which drivers are looking after what but this is normal.

Do not use any driver update utilities as these can install incorrect drivers as well as correct. It's simply safer if you take the time to do the process yourself.

Good morning,
I did everything you proposed. The system has been stable for two hours or so, I will keep observing. I recollected the drivers list, some are still left dating from 2014. I guess they will be replaced with windows update (if ever). Thunderbird crashed again due to the graphics driver after I had updated that driver so I guess they just don't like each other. At least I installed all the drivers acer suggested for my computer. Should I go looking elsewhere? If nothing changes: Thank you SO much!

Good morning,
I was just typing a post of my bloomiest thanks but then my system crashed again twice. Display audio the first time, then again system ervice exception. But as I just have updated to the version on the Acer support site I assumed this was a case of a stubborn driver and uninstalled it via device manager. It reinstalled itself before I had the chance to do it manually and now I it claims to be up to date. I will keep observing. If it crashes again: Should I roll back to a generic intel vga driver? I don't seem to be able to load up dump files at the moment. An error occurs every time I try.

Last edited:
The version from Intal's website was the one I had installed before trying the Acer drivers. I am sorry, I forgot my laptop before running off for the weekend. I will upload the files on monday. Maybe then I will have collected mor dumps...
Have a lovely weekend and thnk you for your quick help!
Maude

Ok Maud thanks for the update. Have a great weekend and we'll catch up Monday.. :)

Hello again,
I hope you had a nice weekend. Here are some more crashes and the updated drivers list. Heavy crashing this morning, mostly system exceptions (3b). I used wetransfer for upload, I hope it's working: W7F_13-06-2016.zip

Code:

BugCheck EF, {ffffe000939de080, 0, 0, 0}

----- ETW minidump data unavailable-----
Probably caused by : svchost.exe

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi Maud,
yes had a great weekend ty hope yours was too.. :)

The above simply means a critical process died although why isn't known. You also had bugchecks for 3B as well as the Intel Audio driver.
Ok so we've tried a few different drivers and it could be that previous gpu driver installs are conflicting (even though they were uninstalled an element is always left behind.and need to be cleaned out).

IntcDAud.sys Tue Jan 26 11:46:55 2016; Although this sounds like an audio driver it's actually part of the graphics package and has been mentioned several times in the dumps as probably cause

A great app for cleaning out drivers is the DDU or Display Driver Uninstaller.
The Display Driver Uninstaller has to be used in Safe mode where it will thoroughly clean all traces of earlier drivers.
Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V16.0.0.2 Released. - Wagnardmobile Forum

Once you removed the Intel based driver then install the version found on your support page I linked to above.. Hopefully this time around with the DDU clean things might go better.

Hey,
sorry to bother you again... A clean graphics driver seemed to work for some time. But in the evening came new crashes. Today a windows update was installed. Two crashes right after. Is there an app which cleans other drivers than the graphics driver? When I had bigger problems with windows last time (win xp), I just used regedit, but I read somewhere that I shouldn't use it with win 10. W7F_15-06-2016.zip

Code:

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff801c6ebf9d6, ffffd0002206dbc0, 0}

Probably caused by : Pool_Corruption ( nt!ExDeferredFreePool+226 )

Followup: Pool_corruption
Hi Maude,
I wouldn't recommend using regedit as it's a bit like playing Russian Roulette and can bork the system.

Ok let's see if we can determine if it's a driver or hardware issue.

First please create a Recovery disk/USB for Windows 10
Creating a recovery drive - Windows Help -

Once the recovery disk/USB has been created please run the driver verifier. This will, on start up, stress each driver in turn to see if it will bsod. If it does then a dump file is created with the culprits name captured.
However, sometimes this process can cause a bsod loop on start up. You then use the recovery disk/USB to enter recovery, safe mode and turn the verifier off.
How do I fix a Blue Screen in Windows using Driver Verifier?

Please post any resulting dump files.

The funny thing is, I tried driver verifier several times following different tutorials. I always had the vague impression that the system was more stable when it was running... This time it scored instantly. To blae was cbfs5.sys, a software creating virtual disks which sadly was linked to rushfiles, my cloud client. Still, two bsod happened before I could uninstall rushfiles and the driver's still present in system32/drivers. I'll keep observing. Here are the new files: W7F_15-06-2016.zip

Hi Maude,
I looked through the dump files sent but couldn't find anything related to the driver verifier. Usually a dump file created from the verifier will be bugcheck C4. Do you have this dump file in a different folder perhaps?

I guess Driver Verifier only uses the memory.dmp which is overwritten by every new crash. I re-ran it and had the same results. This time I copied the dumpfile before the next crash (which came two minutes after). I re-installed and re-deinstalled the cloud client, the driver still sits in my system. Do I have to extinguish it via regedit? MEMORY.zip

Maud please remind me again which driver it is you want to remove by regedit?

Back
Top Bottom