Windows 8 PF keys - need pf5 , for example

cwr64

Honorable Member
I have a Microsoft natural keyboard on my Windows 8.1 64bit Dell desktop PC. I want to enter PF5 in order to make my browsers reload the web page, but I don't know how to do that. Each of my PF keys are marked on their top surface with their main function. For example, the PF5 key is marked on top with "Open" and if I click PF5 it does kick up an Open screen. On the front surface of the keys (the vertical surface that faces me) are marked their PFK #s. So on PF5, for example, how do I get it to actually execute PF5 instead of Open? I've tried Alt+PF5, Ctrl+PF5 and Shift+PF5, but all of those execute the Open function rather than the PFK function. Yes, I know this is a really dumb question but please - how do I get the PFK's to actually execute their PF functions? Thanks in advance.

I have a Microsoft natural keyboard

I want to enter PF5 in order to make my browsers reload the web page,
Microsoft natural keyboard.jpg
The standard is just [F5] key... tip [ctrl] + [F5] would force the java code behind the page to reload as well i.e a bank details interface and [shift] + [F5] would open the web browsers edit options.

Oooops. I thought I had updated this thread a few days ago but...
Anyway, my pf-keys are as I described them. My keyboard is a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000, and every pf-key has 2 functions. On the front of each key (the part of the key that faces my belly), each pf-key has characters that show its PF#. For example, the front of the 3rd pf-key reads "F3". The characters top of each pf-key shows its other function. For example, the top of the 3rd pf-key reads "Redo". So my question is - given the keystrokes that I've tried already (see my initial forum entry), how do I get PF5 to execute as PF5 rather than "Open"?

Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000

This model has a [F lock] key and there should be a light to tell you when it's on i.e [num lock], [caps lock] , [f lock] and [scrol lock] lights in left-right order... pressing the key (once) should turn the option on or off but it stays set and you don't press it every time you want to use the funchion like you would a [shift] key.

Does the [f lock] light "light up"?
If not the keyboard is faulty or you need to re-install/ update the drivers for it from the website.

This model has a [F lock] key and there should be a light to tell you when it's on i.e [num lock], [caps lock] , [f lock] and [scrol lock] lights in left-right order... pressing the key (once) should turn the option on or off but it stays set and you don't press it every time you want to use the funchion like you would a [shift] key.

Does the [f lock] light "light up"?
If not the keyboard is faulty or you need to re-install/ update the drivers for it from the website.

Ah yes, I found the (F lock) key directly to the right of the F12 key. And yes, it does turn on a keyboard light. And it works.
Thank you for your help.

Back
Top Bottom