Pinnacle 3010ix Hybrid TV Tuner causing BSODs

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)' started by babylonx, Sep 1, 2012.

1. babylonx

babylonx Active Member

I installed Windows 8 x64 just yesterday and I must say I was amazed with its performance! It worked great with my old setup, an old Intel Core2Duo 2.13 GHz and 4 GB DDR2 memory. My previous OS was Windows XP but I decided to try Windows 8 since I had a free license as a student and my old Windows XP installation was getting slow and problematic.

Everything seemed great. All my hardware was found and supported and I had no serious issues from Action Center. So today I decided to install a DVB-T Software (DVBViewer Pro) to use my tv Tuner.

I own the Pinnacle 3010ix Dual Hybrid tv tuner which is great and I am not willing to discard it since it has great features and works great. It is recognized correctly in Device Manager as "Pinnacle PCTV 3010iX Dual Analog + DVB-T".

I tried scanning for DVB-T channels and didn't find any. It was passing the frequencies with zero results, frequencies that I know it should find channels at. Then after scanning 6-7 frequencies I received the first BSOD with bug check string "NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM" and code 0x00000024. After that I tried again and after scanning for a while I received error with string "CACHE_MANAGER" and code 0x00000034. The third time I received error with string "KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED" and code 0x0000001e.

So it seems that errors are random type but they only happen when I try to scan for channels.

Until now I have tried changing the drivers with other 64bit versions I had (I was using the one that Windows installed till then), I tried installing and scanning channels with Pinnacle TVCenter (same problem with BSODs) and I also restored an old Windows XP image on some unpartitioned space on my disk and executed DVBViewer there and my tuner worked like a charm. So it is not a hardware issue.

I think I tried this driver under Windows 7 x64 in the past and worked well. I also think that Windows 7 had also found and installed drivers for my tuner automatically that time and I didn't need to change them. Everything worked great. I am not expecting new drivers from Pinnacle for my card since it is very old (I think the 64bit drivers working under Windows 7 and 8 are the last ones made for Vista x64) and I am also not expecting to find any solution in here but I am posting this as a report because I couldn't find any other issues like mine on the web.

I have also sent the reports after the crashes but I doubt Microsoft will find them any useful since they are random and unrelated.

2. babylonx

babylonx Active Member

I found the Solution:
    After searching here an there I found that this card is based on NXP SAA7162 chipset. I tried many different drivers and they were all giving BSODs except for the following driver from Avermedia:
    http://www.avermedia.com/Support/DownloadCount.aspx?FDFId=3247

I have installed it and works nice and smooth! Its great that I don't have to go back to Windows XP because of this!
    :)

3. Adamsappleone

Adamsappleone U.S.Navy D.A.V.

Hello babylonx, [​IMG] to Windows 8 Forums,

That's great, I was just getting ready to submit some help, when your reply came up.
    Glad to hear you found a fix and thank you for posting it, for future reference.

Regards
    Don

4. Christian le Francais

Hello,
    Could you tell me how you did.
    I can not do it.
    Apart pollute my installation.
    thank you

I have the same card and the same problem, the chains are not detected.
    Christian

5. usasma

usasma Fantastic Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Did the Avermedia drivers work for you? If not, what error(s)did you receive?

We lost power at 5pm EDT yesterday and don't know when it'll be back on (it's about 5 am now). I'll reply back as soon as I am able. I am sending this from my phone.

6. Christian le Francais

Hello,
    When I scan chains, no is found.
    I just installed the drivers and it works BlackGold.
    I can not find all the channels but it works.

http://home.btconnect.com/blackgold/Downloads/BGT3540_6.0.0.49_64bit.zip

thank you I will keep you informed.

Christian

7. Christian le Francais

This is good, everything works I change taking tuner.
    I have all the channels.

For those who have the same problem here is the procedure.
    In the device manager.

1 Uninstall the drivers Pinnacle 3010ix by selecting delete drivers.
    2 Add legacy hardware.
    3 Choose audio controller
    4 Click supplied disc.
    5 Specify the path or find the drivers you uncompressed BGT3540_6.0.0.49_64bit drivers.
    6 Click OK and it's good.

Christian

8. ronaldo1

ronaldo1 New Member

Hi (sorry for my English),
    i have same problem but the solutions doesn't work for me, i have return to Windows 7 and wait an official solution :upset:

++

9. Hinnik

Hinnik Member

I do have the same problem, tried to install new software from:
    http://www.pctvsystems.com/tabid/62/default.aspx/Downloads/Application/TVC6Download/tabid/214/language/en-US/Default.aspx
    But still every time I want to start live TV on Windows media Centre I get a BSOD...
    I cannot open the website you mention here...

10. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

Hi Hinnik,
    with BSOD's it's best to start your own thread. Read the thread found here and post the results in your own thread:
    http://windowsforum.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help-with-a-bsod-problem.178480/

11. Hinnik

Hinnik Member

Can you please let me know were I can find the correct driver for Pinnacle PCTV 3010i on this website? I cannot open this link...Thanks!

12. kemical

kemical Windows Forum Admin
    Staff Member Premium Supporter Microsoft MVP

13. babylonx

babylonx Active Member

Ok, I am writing this for future reference:
    The equivalent card is the Avermedia model A177. So in case someone can't find them on the link below google for it.

The drivers right now are available here:
    http://avertv.avermedia.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?Id=20&tab=APDriver

Of course the application is a whole different story and chances are that there might be remote control compatibility issues if you use their application. I am using DVBViewer and these drivers still work like a charm. I don't know if Media Center will work ok with them.

After you install the driver package you will download there is a chance that the driver will not install automatically and that you might need to go in the device manager and update/install the driver manually. You should guide the driver installation inside AverMedia folder in Program Files and manually select the inf files in there. You might also receive a message that your device and drivers might be incompatible and that is ok since the Pinnacle card has different vendor and device id's than the avermedia one. Just click ok.

#13 babylonx, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    Hinnik likes this.
  14. Hinnik

Hinnik Member

HThanks babylonx, just installed this drivers I hope it is the solution I was looking for!