Windows 8 Places to download Windows 8 apps

kooop

I know there is an unofficial windows 8 store "www.windows8appstore.com" for free win8 apps download. Any other places? Thanks!

Any place that offers Windows 8 App downloads is either a scam or just a site that displays and links to actual store apps. So I'd honestly just recommend using the store or official web store kemical linked above as I see no real benefits to using a third party one. You may in fact be putting yourself at risk.

With utmost respect, Mitch, that is not the complete story. In 90% of the cases, with store apps, when you click "install", the user will notice there is a warning that the procedure needs to use the internet. / "FaceGooThis App has permission to use your internet connection."
The reason for this is it then links to the original web site and downloads from there.

You can, alternatively, search, If you have some idea for what you are searching! with Google and get the same result.
Try this, if you doubt, for example, with FaceGoo. Find it in the store, or Google , FaceGoo App. You will get the same result.

The web site would be https://www.facebook.com/FaceGooApp
As you can see, this one hides under the misrepresented secure prefix HTTPS.

Last edited by a moderator:
With utmost respect, Mitch, that is not the complete story. In 90% of the cases, with store apps, when you click "install", the user will notice there is a warning that the procedure needs to use the internet. / "FaceGooThis App has permission to use your internet connection."
The reason for this is it then links to the original web site and downloads from there.

You can, alternatively, search, If you have some idea for what you are searching! with Google and get the same result.
Try this, if you doubt, for example, with FaceGoo. Find it in the store, or Google , FaceGoo App. You will get the same result.

The web site would be https://www.facebook.com/FaceGooApp
As you can see, this one hides under the misrepresented secure prefix HTTPS.
What I'm saying here is a website could advertise Windows 8 store apps and in fact just download a malware executable or similar. The average user may not know the difference. Sorry for the confusion there. I type everything from my Surface RT so I try and keep messages short to avoid getting frustrated with the on screen keyboard lol.

No problem, I type , often, less than is required, for various reasons - boredom - might fall asleep etc. LOL
But, seriously. When Windows 8 was in it's infancy, Microsoft mad a solid promise and boast that the Store would be monitored for quality, and the security at top level. From my point of view, they have let us down on this one. It is , very obviously, not monitored. Their is a ton of rubbish in there, programs are duplicated under different names. Many "Free" apps turn out to be not free,,, I could go on. I agree with you, regarding the security.

No problem, I type , often, less than is required, for various reasons - boredom - might fall asleep etc. LOL
But, seriously. When Windows 8 was in it's infancy, Microsoft mad a solid promise and boast that the Store would be monitored for quality, and the security at top level. From my point of view, they have let us down on this one. It is , very obviously, not monitored. Their is a ton of rubbish in there, programs are duplicated under different names. Many "Free" apps turn out to be not free,,, I could go on. I agree with you, regarding the security.

They can't turn down submissions just because they don't meet a quality standard for example. That would outrage developers and probably result in a significantly smaller amount (of even the useful apps) ever being submitted for a lot of developers, Windows is either their first ecosystem in developing or their entirely unfamiliar with it because its very different from Android/iOS, submitting apps that are complete crap and maybe being lucky enough to get a few feedbacks from friends or random people can go a long way. The issue is there's not enough big name apps available yet to make the store look better. If you were to peek at the store on windows phone, android and iOS you'd find more quality apps upfront but just as much garbage past that. Their main concern is safety in terms of privacy, performance and viruses I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back