Windows 8 POP protocol account

davidhk129

Not sure if I have posted in the correct forum.
Host OS : Win 7 SP1
Guest OS : Win 8.1 pro preview in VMware Player.

Question :
Does Win 8.1 pro preview support POP email accounts?

I downloaded WLM ( windows live mail ) 2012, then I configured my Bell.net in it..
It will receive but can't send.
I thought it could be a port 25 block, so I changed it to 587, then 576. None works.
I was using the same email account settings as in my host OS windows 7 which has my Bell.net account.

Looks like it will accept only web-based accounts.

Good question. I know in windows 8 it doesn't but the work around is to open an outlook.com email account the associate all other emails you wont with outlook.com email. Then use the mail app to receive all your emails.

I'll have to try this in 8.1 preview in my Hyper-V set up.

Good question. I know in windows 8 it doesn't but the work around is to open an outlook.com email account the associate all other emails you wont with outlook.com email. Then use the mail app to receive all your emails.

I'll have to try this in 8.1 preview in my Hyper-V set up.

Outlook.com is a web-based account. Don't need it.

Does Win 8.1 pro preview support POP email accounts?
It will receive but can't send.
Looks like it will accept only web-based accounts.

You may be confusing the protocols. POP is a method of retrieving your mail, while almost all POP3 accounts rely on SMTP. You need to make sure that your SMTP settings are correct for your Bell CA account.

Try to make sure you enable SSL and use these instructions as a baseline. What I notice, most prominently, is that it looks like Bell CA requires SSL and authentication. That means under outgoing mail, or SMTP settings, you probably need to include your account details again. It looks like this was the last time they issued documentation for this:

http://support.bell.ca/Internet/Email/Windows-Live-Mail-2011-email-setup

I'm pulling up Windows Live Mail in a virtual machine to post some screen shots of where you need to go with this.

You may be confusing the protocols. POP is a method of retrieving your mail, while almost all POP3 accounts rely on SMTP. You need to make sure that your SMTP settings are correct for your Bell CA account.

Try to make sure you enable SSL and use these instructions as a baseline. What I notice, most prominently, is that it looks like Bell CA requires SSL and authentication. That means under outgoing mail, or SMTP settings, you probably need to include your account details again. It looks like this was the last time they issued documentation for this:

http://support.bell.ca/Internet/Email/Windows-Live-Mail-2011-email-setup

I'm pulling up Windows Live Mail in a virtual machine to post some screen shots of where you need to go with this.

Thank you.
But I have the settings correctly configured. I did that countless times. Exactly the same as I have in my email client WLM.
Here is the screenshot of the relevant settings in win 8.1.............
P.S. the email address after the @ is bell.net, not bell.ca as some might think.
Image%207.png

Image%206.png

example-mail-settings.png

This may be useful if you are on Bell CA. "Bell.net" settings could be different but some information lends itself that you may be on a BELL CA provider.

Best of luck.

Under "Outgoing Mail Server" where it says "My server requires authentication" some servers require the details to be:
  • Left blank, oddly enough (it will use the POP3 info)
  • Using the full e-mail address example@example-com and password
  • Using only the login and the password
If there is a continued difficulty, you should contact your ISP. The mail server settings are defined by them and have little to do with OS. They should have customer service that will help you get things working.

Exactly the same as I have in my email client WLM.

Most people no longer store their mail locally. The additional advice I can give you would be to use a Live.com or GMAIL account and set up such an account to retrieve and send mail from the POP3 account. You may also just be able to forward mail directly to this online account instead of having the service retrieve it for you. This is the way things have been moving for a long time, and ensure, to a great degree, that if your system crashes, you will never lose your e-mail. It is one of the reasons we barely see Mail support built into Windows. Certainly there is a Mail app in Windows 8, but it connects to services like Hotmail (Live Mail) and Gmail. It is useful to synchronize the ability to get that mail across different Windows 8 computers using the same login. I would consider going that route and using an online mail service... also make sure you find out what is going on with your SMTP/outgoing mail settings.

Normally we would look at the error message when you try to send mail -- the error directly being sent by the server -- but the later (and possibly last of) the software mail clients are no longer really displaying this data to you. Instead they are giving you a generic pop-up message based off the raw data received from SMTP. Ultimately it looks like you need to get configuration from the ISP.

Thank you.
I assure you that there is nothing wrong with my outgoing mail settings as there are the same as the one I use in my Host OS and I don't have trouble sending emails. And I have been using WM and WLM for over 6 years now from Vista to Win 7.

Here is the error message when I tried to send email in win 8.1 using WLM.
Image%208.png

It is not really important, as I don't expect myself using win 8.1 for quite some time to come.
Asking question is just my wish to understand.

If its only failing in the virtual machine it could have a lot to do with your router, bridged networking, and the firewall. It depends on if you are assigning the VM its own IP or what have you. I don't see that this would be an extensive problem by upgrading to Windows 8. The core kernel is basically the same and the software you will be running, presumably Windows Live Mail 2012, is no different from Windows 7 and Windows 8. They both rely on .NET Framework and thats about it. It may have something to do with the fact that you're trying to do mail from a machine within a machine on VMWare Player - which is really an ad-hoc VM software that is used mostly to promote the full version. Without having direct access to your machine and e-mail settings I cannot give you a full resolution. I am not sure anyone could, other than trusted partners and technicians like at your ISP.

Ahh guys, I think I know what the problem is and I ran into it last month when I installed my Win8.1 RTM Preview *thanks for the link, Mike!*.

When I tried linking any of my Email accounts including my primary Verizon.net webmail (POP-based) account to the Win8.1 Mail Tile App; it failed. Weeks of research told me that Microsoft is not allowing ANY POP-based webmails to work their Win8.1 Mail App!! You must have either IMAP or E-Sync (Exchange Server 2012 or better) protocols. This leaves many people out such as folks that have Verizon *like I do*, Charter, Cox, and quite a few others. Help files with Windows8.1 and on the Microsoft Knowledgebase offer you a suggestion such as calling your Provider to see if they can switch your Mail Account over to one of these new protocols. Soooo, I called Verizon 2nd Level Email Support, and the Tech laughed as he said I was the first person he spoke with who even asked the question. He then put me on hold for 10 min. while he ran off to ask his Supervisor about it. Supervisor didn't know, he went off to ask his Manager and so forth. Finally, 25 min. later, they came back with an answer for the Tech I spoke with and they said "Yes, we know what it is and why you need it; but we don't currently offer that conversion option for Verizon Customers". Ummm..I think that translates to "We'll call you, don't call us" in English. I asked them if they would have it ready in a 1 yr., 2 yrs. 5 yrs, etc.-they had no idea!

Having been an E-mail Administrator in several companies up to 5,000 employees I've seen this sort of thing before. Microsoft rolled this Mail App out and didn't fully test and communicate with the large ISPs. Just last week I've heard several stories of other people running into this same problem with various large ISPs outside of California.

Anyway, the suggestions about opening up an Outlook.com account and then linking all your other E-mails to that account is a great idea; except in my case you can't link the Verizon.net account to Outlook.com *I got that last year as soon as the service became available to get the Email address I wanted*. So, I'm stuck using multiple E-mail Apps; what else is new? I use Windows Live Mail 2011 on my Vista system to read my Verizon.net; and Outlook.com to read my Win8.1 E-mail. Haven't tried to link in my Gmail and Yahoo! accounts for fear of overloading my Outlook.com inbox.

I have not tried using Outlook 2010 or Outlook 2013 on my Win8.1 as my Outlook 2010 expired and I could not afford the re-up fee. And I'm waiting patiently for a Customer to dontate an Outlook 2013 copy to me. That's certainly an option that will be worth exploring. I'm just not convinced that the new Outlook configurations will support the POP==>IMAP/E-Sync conversions without an external conduit source( free?) from a 3rd party company.

I'm pretty sure this will frustrate a lot of other people who are on legacy POP-based Email with the big ISPs such as Verizon and Charter; maybe Microsoft can look into working with the ISPs mentioned and providing options; even if they are fee-based I think many of my Customers might be open to that, as long as their is an integrated solution available to them.

Thought you guys would appreciate my research on this...

BIGBEARJEDI

Back
Top Bottom