Windows 8 pop up ads:Windows 8

How can I stop the pop up ads on windows 8?

Find out if your Internet Explorer has enabled or disabled Pop Up Blocker feature.
Open Internet Explorer ( presumably you are using IE10) > at the top, click Tools > click Pop-up Blocker.
If the list says Turn on Pop-up Blocker, then click it > Pop-up Blocker is now enabled.

Image 1.png

I know I am tagging on to an older thread, but I thought it was relevant. I have Chrome and they will not remove their ads. They do have the adblock extension and I hear this is good. My reservation is the popup at download which states that they have access to data on all websites. Not knowing what this means, since I have secure sites I use, I am reluctant to use adblock. Probably just paranoia, but I am cautious and want more info before adding. So if those of you who recommend it would put my mind at ease, I'd be grateful! Thanks. And Happy New Year.

Hi

I use Chrome too, and I don't have any extensions installed (of which it keeps reminding me) but I still get pop ups all the time even with popup blocker turned on.

Maybe I'll give Adblocker a try I'll do a little research and see if it's safe.

Mike

Last edited:
I know Mike. Google even states it somewhere when I checked that off. Annoying. If you think adblock is safe, I'll add it. Thanks, Clare

OK, it seems odd that google would include this, but I don't know their policy apropos extensions offered!

If you should stumble across an adblocker you trust, would you post it here please. Gracias.

Edit: crusing around a lot of sites and opinions. I found one person suggesting dumping google because of all the tracking it does and IK they collect browsing date; they say so.Anyway, this guy suggests Comodo for a browser. Never heard of it (but that is no surprise . . . )

Last edited:
Hi

I didn't know that Comodo made a browser, they do make a suite of antivirus, malware tools.

I used their Firewall for a while with Windows 8 when I couldn't get the Windows 8 firewall to work and it worked much better than the native one.

Unfortunately Windows 8 is set up so a lot of things will not work if you don't use the Windows 8 firewall.
Otherwise I would still be using it.

I run CCleaner every day to clean up a lot of the stuff, and SuperAntiSpyware is really good at digging out every little spybot.
I run it once a week and it always finds the same stuff so obviously the stuff doesn't get blocked.

Mike

Hello

After some research I have installed Adblock and Keep My Opt Outs in my Chrome browser.

See my post entitled Add Blocking...

Mike

Hey Mike, I edited your post to link it to your other post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike, I've edited your post, so it will now link to your "Add Blocking" post...hope you don't mind.

Thanks again Mike. I found out my geek/website designer/graphic design/photographer friend uses it and he's savvy enough to not purposefully infect his PC. Guess it sounds like I'm awed by him, huh. Well, he's a friend and he's super helpful on the Photoshop Gurus Forum I belong to.

Thanks for your help and the time you spent on it.You are an extraordinary member. And, I'm glad you installed. I'll do it later today!

You have like buttons but not ty buttons. I'd click it, but I guess the like is in your favor. Clare

Back
Top Bottom