Windows 7 popup that looks like windows 7 restart????

Dangaioh

I wish I took a screenshot. But, I received a weird popup that look eerily similar to a Win7 restart.

Reminds me of the fake Windows Virus Alert pops that would appear.

It was quite weird that it appeared after I stopped my screensaver, and no matter how many times I keep pressing the 'esc' button, I cannot get back to my desktop. No, I did not restart my system.

I decided to do the 3 finger salute (ctl, alt, del), and it disappeared. Right now I am running MS Essential to look for the damn thing.

To verify if it was not a Windows 7 update install, I checked my install history, and the latest install was on 02.25.2012, for the MSE definition. Apparently, there are no updates for the 26th.

If anyone knows what I am posting about or experienced this, please let me know.

Thanks.

Well just finished my scan and nothing came up. Hopefully, whatever it was, would not affect my system.

Thanks for the suggestion, downloaded, installed and running. Will post a report update.

Update: Finished scanning, 0 Malwares detected.

Last edited:
Apparently, I thought this was over with... so apparently not. The same restart appeared after I brought my computer out of screensaver mode.

This time I have obtained a screenshot.

restart.jpg

To ensure that it's not crapware, going to (in no particular order):

• Ensure that my keyboard does not have a shutdown macro.
  • Check for crapware using A/V and Malwarebytes afterwards.
  • See if shutdown is part of the process if PC has been idle for certain number of minutes.

Greatly appreciate any opinion and suggestions.

Thanks.

I don't know why, but I've had a few XP Pro installs suddenly show a box like that, instead of the regular shutdown screen. The first time, I believe, was in or around 2007. I still have one version installed that does this. The only thing that gets rid of it is a reinstall.

I've posted questions on several XP forums about the issue, including Microsoft Answers. No one could give me any assistance with the issue. This makes the very first time that I've seen it on Windows 7. If no one can answer this, being that 7 is still in mainstream support, Microsoft should be able to assist with this at no charge.

Cat

1. Thanks Drew and Cat for the help. Might do a reinstall by July, just to have a happy clean system.
  2. Update to what I have b.p.'d earlier.

• Keyboard is not macro'd to shutdown.
  • No crapware located after running a thorough scan w/anticrapware programs as suggested in thread.
  • Shutdown is not part of the 'power setting' process during screen saver, sleep or idle mode.

Again thanks all.

Back