Windows 10 port forwarding and openvpn

LT72884

scenerio: hamachi works fine and i can connect to the other pc just fine.

I installed openvpn and can not get the port forward to work. I contacted my isp and port forward is blocked unless i buy a actual static ip from them. The network from them is ONE public ip that serves the entire 700 house appartment complex.

question, how come hamachi works, since it DOES open up its own ports, but yet port forwarding is blocked? Since hamachi can open and forward traffic, how come i can not get my open vpn to work? my apartment is location A(server) and location B is wherever my latop will be.

thanks..

There are different types of VPNs such as IPsec and l2tp both which don't play nice with NAT. There's also pptp which is not the most secure. You'll want to setup a SSL VPN. These don't require dealing with NAT and shouldn't have any issues with your ISP

Before i do a massive google search, are you aware if open vpn will allow ssl?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

Ok, thanks. Maybe i can get this to work after all. Isp's are begining to bug me. Mine is blocking all port forwards unless i buy a static ip from them

do you have any info on how to set that up? i have never done this. I can google it, just want to make sure i get accurate guides haha.

I have tried openvpn before and its always blocked once i hae to do the port forwards. IE i tried last week and still no go. All port forwards are blocked by my isp.

OpenVPN's site has guides for most scenarios.
I joined the forums for openvpn and they told me that unfortunately, openvpn wont work if the isp blocks port forwarding. They told me i need to get a vps.

A VPS is a hosted server, nothing like a VPN. With a VPS you can store data on it and access it and it wouldn't be hosted in your network.

A VPS is a hosted server, nothing like a VPN. With a VPS you can store data on it and access it and it wouldn't be hosted in your network.
Use the vps as the vpn host or ssh host. I have had to do it before.

Yes, this isp is interesting to say the least. I called them and the engineer informed me that all port forwarding is blocked. I would have to buy a staic ip from them.

The isp has one public ip for 700 apartments in the complex. Its free in our rent. They block all port forwarding, unless i pay a fee and get my own ip from them. Its a way to make money...

As far as the vps, i would use that as the vpn server or ssh server. But for now, hamachi and anydesk works for the momwnt

Back
Top Bottom