Windows 7 Probelm installing windows 7 64bit on after installing wndows 7 32bit

Gregor

hello,

my problem is the following, i received my copy of windows 7 proffesional this morning and i let my sister do the installation while i was at work...she by mistake installed the 32 version and not the 64 bit one. When i enter the dvd with the 64 bit version of windows to start installing the 64bit version i get a message that says this operating system cannot use the software and i must use the windows installation disk (i didn;t receive anything like that only 2 dvds of 32bit and 64bit versions) and choose custom advanced installation from there... what can i do ? what is this installation disk of windows 7?

I tried rebooting the pc using as first bootable device the cd-dvd rom while i had the windows 7 64bit version in and nothing happened.

thank you.

If nothing happened then you must have the upgrade version. I understand it won't boot on its own. You should be able to boot up.. switch to your cd with 64 and run setup.... then select custom install and let it format and install the 64 bit version. I don't think the 64 bit version will upgrade from a 32 bit versio.

't'.

You are correct. x86 & x64 cannot be 'crossed'. Wipe & redo w/ the x64. IF, it is indeed an Upgrade CD then the 'trick' will have to be employed.

Drew

What's the "trick"? I currently have Windows 7 32-bit RC installed and I'm planning on installing 64-bit RTM soon. The problem is that I hear the Update version, as opposed to the Full version, can only be upgraded from Vista. I'm not sure, there are a lot of different information floating around the net right now so I'm a bit confused. In any case, would I have to use this trick to get around to doing a fresh install on my computer?

thanx for the replies

could you be a bit more specific please?....i don;t think i have the upgrade version but then again as i said once i insert the 64bit dvd in i get the message that the operating system cannot run this sofware (since its 64bit one) and the operating system is 32...

't'.

You are correct. x86 & x64 cannot be 'crossed'. Wipe & redo w/ the x64. IF, it is indeed an Upgrade CD then the 'trick' will have to be employed.

Drew

what is this trick? although i am quite positive i have received the full version since on the box it didn;t say anything about upgrade version and also the receipt was billed on a full version.

is the 64bit dvd the installation disk of the windows 7 64bit as well? or its a different one...because as i said when i boot up from the DVD (from Bios) nothing happens.

You cannot do an upgrade from 32bit to 64bit. You will want to boot from the 64bit DVD and do a "custom install" This will wipe your drive clean so backup what you want to keep. If you have the upgrade disks, you will need to do the clean install but do not enter your activation code. When you are in 7, leave the disk in and then do an "upgrade" over your new installation and then enter your code. The reason is because you just did a clean install and your code is for an upgrade. If you try to enter code after clean install you will recieve error. Good Luck.

You cannot do an upgrade from 32bit to 64bit. You will want to boot from the 64bit DVD and do a "custom install" This will wipe your drive clean so backup what you want to keep. If you have the upgrade disks, you will need to do the clean install but do not enter your activation code. When you are in 7, leave the disk in and then do an "upgrade" over your new installation and then enter your code. The reason is because you just did a clean install and your code is for an upgrade. If you try to enter code after clean install you will recieve error. Good Luck.

It took my code after a clean install. I must be special?

I made a bootable usb from my 64 bit UPGRADE download.. turned off my computer and disconnected all drives except a clean formatted drive.... booted to the usb, installed the upgrade and the code worked perfectly the first time... there was no way for it know I had ever had ANY operating system.... 32, vista, xp, rc or anything.

Did you personally get an error? I've read where people do... but I suspect they were trying to use a home preminum key on a Ultimate version... or simply typing it in wrong.

Back