mike21

Honorable Member
I am having trouble using file history. If I accept the defaults by just pressing Backup Now the result is just an empty 2Mb file. If I add Documents and Desktop the result is still just an empty 2Mb file. What I wish is to do is a file backup followed by daily incremental backups of the Documents/Documents folder and desktop. I make an image every week, but want to be able to restore files that have changed or are new since the image was made if there is a major computer problem – is that possible and if so how do I do it.

Solution
Using File History in Windows allows you to perform regular backups and restore files easily. To set up File History for regular backups and incremental backups, follow these steps:
1. Set Up File History:
- Go to Settings > Update & Security > Backup.
- Under "Back up using File History," click "Add a drive" to select a drive for your backups.
- Click "More options" to configure backup settings.
2. Customize File History Settings:
- Under "Automatically back up my files," turn it on.
- Select how often you want to back up your files from the dropdown list.
- Under "Keep my backups," adjust how long you want to keep your backups.
- Click "Add a folder" to select the folders you want to back up (e.g...
Using File History in Windows allows you to perform regular backups and restore files easily. To set up File History for regular backups and incremental backups, follow these steps:
1. Set Up File History:
- Go to Settings > Update & Security > Backup.
- Under "Back up using File History," click "Add a drive" to select a drive for your backups.
- Click "More options" to configure backup settings.
2. Customize File History Settings:
- Under "Automatically back up my files," turn it on.
- Select how often you want to back up your files from the dropdown list.
- Under "Keep my backups," adjust how long you want to keep your backups.
- Click "Add a folder" to select the folders you want to back up (e.g., Documents, Desktop).

3. Backup Files:
- Click "Backup now" to perform the initial backup.
- File History will back up the selected folders to the designated backup drive.
4. Restore Files:
- To restore files, go to Settings > Update & Security > Backup.
- Under "Looking for an older backup?" click "Restore your files with File History."
5. Regular Backups:
- File History will continue to back up your files according to the set schedule.
- It will save newer versions of files and changes made to existing files.
6. Incremental Backups:
- File History in Windows creates incremental backups automatically. Each subsequent backup saves changes made since the last backup.
- This allows you to restore specific versions of files or recover files as they were at a particular point in time.
By following these steps and customizing your File History settings, you can ensure regular backups of your important files and easily restore them if needed.

Solution
Back