John Clark

Extraordinary Member
I had to delete my original account (pop) then started a new one. My original data file ( .pst ) was stored on another drive so when I reestablished my account in Outlook it created an .ost file under USER\APPDATA....OUTLOOK\username.ost. I realized this morning that outlook is using the .pst data file for all new email in lieu of the default ost data file where all of my previous data is relocated.
My other devices, cell phone and laptop (both imap), have some how loaded old deleted files from the server into the Inbox with new emails. Do I transfer (copy) all data over to the pst data file? If I remember from 3 days ago, emails came in on the ost file but now the pst file. What a nightmare created from outlook's hiccup.

Solution
For a POP3 account configured with Office 365 (Outlook.com) settings, here are the standard server settings you'll need for both incoming and outgoing emails:

POP3 Incoming Server Settings:​

• Server: outlook.office365.com
  • Port: 995
  • Encryption method: SSL/TLS

SMTP Outgoing Server Settings:​

• Server: smtp.office365.com
  • Port: 587
  • Encryption method: STARTTLS

Additional SMTP Settings:​

1. Authentication: You may need to ensure that your SMTP server requires authentication. Use the same username and password as your incoming POP3 server.
  2. Username: This is typically your full email address...
It sounds like you've navigated quite a complex situation with Outlook, and I can understand how frustrating this must be! Managing different file types can get confusing, especially when POP and IMAP protocols are mixed. Let's break down your problems and see how we can straighten things out:

Issues Overview:​

1. PST vs. OST Files:
    • PST (Personal Storage Table): Commonly used for POP accounts, containing messages, contacts, and calendar items on a local drive.
    • OST (Offline Storage Table): Used primarily with Exchange or IMAP accounts, allowing offline access to emails synced from a server.

Your Situation:​

• You've recreated your account, and Outlook has generated a new OST file while using your existing PST file for current emails.
  • Your other devices (which use IMAP) seem to be fetching old emails and deleted files from the server.

Recommended Actions:​

1. Understanding Your Data Files:
    • Since your email account is set up as POP, it’s retaining new emails in the PST file. You'll need to decide whether to keep that setup or transition to IMAP.
    • POP downloads emails from the server and stores them locally (PST), while IMAP keeps them synced with the server, reflecting what’s stored online.
  2. Consolidating Data:
    • If you want to use the PST file as your primary source:
      • You can move emails from the OST file into the PST file manually.
      • Open both the PST and OST files in Outlook; then drag and drop or copy the emails over from the OST to the PST.
  3. Switching to IMAP:
    • Consider switching your account settings from POP to IMAP. This way, you'd remain synced with your server, ensuring you don't lose emails unintentionally.
    • If you enable IMAP, you can delete the PST file or stop using it for new emails, ensuring everything flows through the IMAP account.
  4. Resolve Old Emails Issue:
    • On devices using IMAP (laptop and phone), perform a resend or refresh of data. If deleted emails surfaced, ensure that your inbox is clear of any unnecessary synchronizations. Sometimes, emails marked as deleted can re-sync due to server settings.
    • Check if settings on the email server are configured to keep deleted messages or failed deletion attempts, leading to their reappearance.

Final Thoughts:​

You've certainly dealt with quite the intricacies of Outlook. If you're comfortable moving details around, consolidating your emails might be practical. However, if this process seems daunting, consider seeking additional support from Outlook forums or Microsoft support directly.
If you have any further questions or need clarification, please let me know. I'm here to assist you through this mess!

My pop3 account was set up for the outgoing server as outlook.exchange365.com, what are these settings?
What is the server for outgoing email and its settings.

For a POP3 account configured with Office 365 (Outlook.com) settings, here are the standard server settings you'll need for both incoming and outgoing emails:

POP3 Incoming Server Settings:​

• Encryption method: SSL/TLS

SMTP Outgoing Server Settings:​

• Encryption method: STARTTLS

Additional SMTP Settings:​

1. Authentication: You may need to ensure that your SMTP server requires authentication. Use the same username and password as your incoming POP3 server.
  2. Username: This is typically your full email address (e.g., [email protected]).
  3. Password: The password associated with your email account.

Steps to Configure in Outlook:​

1. Open Outlook and go to File > Account Settings.
  2. Select your account and click Change.
  3. Make sure the incoming and outgoing server details match the above settings.
  4. Click on More Settings, navigate to the Outgoing Server tab, and ensure that "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" is checked.
  5. Save the settings and test the configuration.

Notes:​

• If you’re using IMAP instead of POP3, the incoming server setting would change, but you retain the same SMTP settings.
  • Always verify that your email and password are correct while entering them in these settings.
If you follow these configurations and still face issues, consider checking with your email provider to ensure that there are no specific configurations or additional settings required for your account. Let me know if you need more assistance!

Solution
Yes, outlook.exchange365.com is generally associated with earlier configurations or specific setups for accessing Exchange Online or Office 365. However, for SMTP settings within Office 365 or Outlook.com, the recommended and commonly used setting now is smtp.office365.com.

So to clarify:​

• Incoming Mail (POP3): outlook.office365.com
  • Outgoing Mail (SMTP): smtp.office365.com
Using smtp.office365.com ensures that you’re using the latest and most reliable configuration for sending emails through Office 365. It's possible that there may have been updates or changes in server settings over time, so always good to verify with Microsoft's official documentation if you're unsure.
If you've been using outlook.exchange365.com recently, it might still work for sending emails, but migrating to smtp.office365.com is advisable for future compatibility and support.
If you have further questions or need help with setup adjustments, feel free to ask!

I have tried to fix outlook and no matter what I did to set up a pop account the result was it reverted to using an ost file. As it stands now I can't start up outlook. I get an error window that states that folders can not be opened and an unexpected error has occurred. I have copied backup pst and ost back to their previous directories but still get the same error.

In trying to set up the account, I initially get multiple choices: MY Email Account, Outlook.com, Exchange, and Other Account plus some others. So which one is it?

It sounds like you're running into a couple of significant issues with Outlook, particularly with the account setup and error messages. Let's address each aspect systematically:

Error Messages​

The error stating "folders cannot be opened" typically indicates issues with the data files or the Outlook profile itself. Here’s how to troubleshoot:
  1. Start Outlook in Safe Mode:
    • Press Win + R, type outlook /safe, and hit Enter. This opens Outlook without add-ins which could be causing issues.
  2. Create a New Outlook Profile:
    • Sometimes, problems with the current Outlook profile can lead to persistent error messages.
    • Go to Control Panel > Mail (Microsoft Outlook) > Show Profiles.
    • Click Add to create a new profile and set it up with your email account.
  3. Repair PST/OST Files:
    • If the error persists, you may need to repair your PST or OST files using the Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst.exe).
    • Search for scanpst.exe on your computer (usually located in the Microsoft Office installation directory) and follow the prompts to repair the file.

Setting Up Your Email Account​

When you're setting up an email account in Outlook, here’s how to proceed based on the type of account you have:
  • POP Account:
    • Choose Other Account or Email Account and enter your settings manually. Don’t use Outlook.com or Exchange for a POP account.
  • Exchange Account:
    • If your organization uses Microsoft Exchange, select Exchange.
  • Outlook.com:
    • Use this option if you're setting up an Outlook.com or Office 365 email.
If you’re specifically using a POP3 account, here are typical settings you should use:
  • Incoming Server: outlook.office365.com
  • Outgoing Server: smtp.office365.com
  • Ensure you select the proper ports as discussed earlier.

General Steps to Follow​

1. Banish Old Profiles and Files: Make sure there are no remnants of old or conflicted profiles/files that could be causing issues.
  2. Recreate the Account: After ensuring your profile is clean, set up your POP account again, ensuring you select Other Account or Email Account as required.
  3. Backup Important Data: Ensure you have backups of your contacts and calendar from your PST file before modifying anything.
If these steps lead to further issues or if you have specific questions during setup, don't hesitate to reach out! Let's get Outlook working smoothly again.

Set up new pop account ( assume it is "YOUR NAME") and can not log onto mail server or send text. Error says that password or cannot send message.

It looks like you're running into authentication issues with your new POP account configuration in Outlook. Here are some steps to help you troubleshoot and resolve the problems you’re facing with logging onto the mail server and sending emails:

Steps to Troubleshoot POP Account Issues​

1. Verify Username and Password:
    • Double-check that you are using the correct email address and password for your account. If you've recently changed the password, make sure you're using the updated one.
  2. Server Settings:
    • Ensure that your incoming (POP3) and outgoing (SMTP) server settings are correct:
      • Incoming Mail (POP3):
      • Encryption: SSL/TLS
      • Outgoing Mail (SMTP):
      • Encryption: STARTTLS
  3. Check Account Type:
    • When setting up the account, confirm that you selected Other Account or Email Account when prompted. Do not choose Outlook.com or Exchange if you're connecting as a POP account.
  4. Authentication Settings:
    • In the account settings under the Outgoing Server tab, ensure that “My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication” is checked. Use the same settings as your incoming mail server.
  5. Clear Cached Credentials:
    • Open Control Panel > User Accounts > Credential Manager.
    • Look for any saved credentials related to your email account and remove them. Restart Outlook and re-enter your email credentials when prompted.
  6. Firewall/Antivirus Settings:
    • Ensure that your firewall or antivirus software isn't blocking Outlook. Sometimes security software may interfere with email clients. Temporarily disable it to see if it resolves the issue.
  7. Test with Web Access:
    • Try logging into your email account through the web browser to ensure that logins are successful there. This can help confirm that the issue lies with Outlook rather than your email credentials.
  8. Try Safe Mode:
    • If you suspect add-ins may be affecting your email, launch Outlook in Safe Mode (outlook.exe /safe) and test if you can send or receive emails there.

Final Steps:​

If none of the above solutions work, consider the following:
  • Contact Your Email Provider: Check with your email provider for specific settings or to ensure your account isn’t locked or having broader issues.
  • Recreate Account: As a last resort, delete the newly created POP account and recreate it carefully, ensuring all settings align with the recommendations.
If you need any further assistance with these steps or encounter specific error messages, feel free to share, and I'll do my best to help you through it!

I selected "POP or IMAP" account.
I'm using settings shown above.
I also accessed mail on the web Web, so username and password work.
Cannot open outlook via icon, I can open outlook in safe mode

It's good to know that you're able to access your email via the web and that you're using the correct account type (POP or IMAP). Since Outlook opens in Safe Mode but not normally, it suggests that there might be an issue with add-ins or your Outlook profile. Here are some steps to troubleshoot the problems further:

Steps to Resolve Outlook Startup Issues​

1. Disable Add-Ins:
    • Since Outlook works in Safe Mode, it's likely that an add-in is causing the problem. To disable add-ins:
      • Open Outlook in Safe Mode (outlook.exe /safe).
      • Go to File > Options > Add-Ins.
      • At the bottom, in the "Manage" dropdown, select COM Add-ins, and click Go.
      • Uncheck the add-ins you want to disable, apply the changes, and restart Outlook normally to see if it opens.
  2. Repair Outlook Profile:
    • Sometimes, issues arise from a corrupted profile. You can create a new profile:
      • Open Control Panel > Mail (Microsoft Outlook) > Show Profiles.
      • Click Add to create a new profile.
      • Set up the POP account again in this new profile and set the new profile as the default.
  3. Repair Outlook Installation:
    • If problems persist, consider repairing the Outlook installation:
      • Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features.
      • Find Microsoft Office in the list, select it, and click on Change.
      • Choose Repair and follow the prompts.
  4. Check for Recent Updates:
    • Ensure that your Office installation is up to date. Sometimes bugs are fixed in newer updates. Check for updates under File > Office Account > Update Options.
  5. Examine Log Files:
    • Outlook keeps log files that might give insight into what's causing the problem. To enable logging:
      • Go to File > Options > Advanced.
      • Scroll down to the Mail section and check Enable troubleshooting logging.
      • Restart Outlook and check the logs for details about what might be failing when starting Outlook normally.
  6. System File Checker (SFC):
    • Run the SFC tool to check and repair any system file corruption:
      • Open Command Prompt as Administrator and run sfc /scannow. This process may take some time.

Final Options:​

If you've tried all of the above steps without success, consider:
  • Reinstalling Office: Uninstall and then reinstall your Office applications.
  • Seek Additional Help: If the issue persists, Microsoft Support or dedicated Outlook forums can provide further assistance.
Let me know how these steps go or if you encounter any specific error messages during the process! I'm here to help you get back on track with Outlook.

I'm back in outlook and all new mail is still coming to ost file even though i created a pop email. What am i missing? I selected to pst file in the setup for pop!

It's great to hear you're back in Outlook! However, if new mail is still being directed to the OST file despite setting up a POP account, it suggests that Outlook may still be configured to use the Exchange settings rather than the POP settings intended. Here’s how to address this:

Steps to Ensure Proper POP Configuration​

1. Verify Account Settings:
    • Go to File > Account Settings > Account Settings.
    • Check that your POP account is correctly listed. Make sure it shows POP next to it.
  2. Check Default Data File:
    • In the same Account Settings window, click on the Data Files tab.
    • Ensure that your POP account is set as the default data file. It should show the PST file you wish to use. Select it and click Set as Default if it's not already set.
  3. Remove the OST File if Needed:
    • If you're planning to exclusively use the POP account without the Exchange account, you may want to remove the linked OST file:
      • Close Outlook.
      • Navigate to the folder: C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook and locate the OST file.
      • Backup the OST file (just in case) and then delete it.
      • Restart Outlook to see if it draws only from the POP account.
  4. Edit Account Type:
    • If emails continue to go to the OST file, you may be inadvertently using an Exchange setup. During the account setup, ensure you select POP or IMAP and enter the correct settings.
    • If there's any lingering Exchange configuration preventing complete removal, it might require that you remove and re-add the POP account again:
      • Start with Control Panel > Mail > Show Profiles.
      • Remove any Exchange profiles or accounts, and then re-add your POP account.
  5. Double-Check Email Routing:
    • When emails arrive in the OST file, ensure that they aren't being configured to route based on specific rules that might send new emails there.
    • Go to Home > Rules > Manage Rules & Alerts to check for any rules that might affect where emails are placed.
  6. Send/Receive Groups:
    • Ensure the Send/Receive settings include your POP account:
      • Go to File > Options > Advanced > Send/Receive.
      • Check the settings to ensure your POP account is included in the groups for sending and receiving data.

Conclusion​

By ensuring that your POP account is correctly configured and set as the default, you should be able to redirect new emails to the appropriate PST file rather than the OST file associated with any Exchange setup.
If you continue to experience issues or have more questions on this, feel free to reach out!

Ok lets go back to the beginning. In account settings under EMAIL/NAME I have my email address. This references an ost file.
I earlier thread it was mentioned to create a new profile and use my email settings. Where do you set up a new profile?

To set up a new Outlook profile, which can help in resolving issues like the one you're experiencing with the OST file overriding your POP settings, follow these steps:

Creating a New Outlook Profile​

1. Open Control Panel:
    • You can access Control Panel by searching for it in the Windows Start menu.
  2. Locate Mail Settings:
    • In Control Panel, set the view to Small Icons or Large Icons (rather than Category) to see all options clearly.
    • Click on Mail (Microsoft Outlook).
  3. Show Profiles:
    • In the Mail Setup window, click on Show Profiles.
  4. Add a New Profile:
    • In the Profiles window, click Add.
    • Enter a name for your new profile (e.g., "New Outlook Profile").
    • Click OK.
  5. Set Up Account:
    • After clicking OK, the Add Account wizard will open.
    • Select POP or IMAP when prompted and fill out your email account details using the settings you have for your POP email account:
      • Your Name
      • Email Address
      • Account Type: POP3
      • Incoming Mail Server: outlook.office365.com
      • Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.office365.com
      • Username: Your full email address
      • Password: Your email password
    • Click Next and then click Finish once the setup completes successfully.
  6. Set the Profile as Default:
    • Back in the Show Profiles window, make sure the new profile is selected in the "Always use this profile:" dropdown. This will ensure Outlook starts with this profile every time.
  7. Open Outlook:
    • Start Outlook again, and it will launch using the new profile you've just created.

After Creating the Profile​

• Check whether new mail is arriving in the corresponding PST file and not in the OST file.
  • If everything is working correctly, you can delete your old profile later if desired.
Setting up a new profile typically resolves many issues related to corrupted profiles or account settings. If you encounter any specific errors during the setup or issues afterwards, please let me know!

I get to the end of finishing the account, press next and cannot connect. error says check password and username.

It sounds like you're still facing challenges when trying to set up your new POP account in Outlook. If you're receiving an error indicating that it cannot connect and prompting you to check your username and password, here are some detailed steps to troubleshoot this issue:

Steps to Resolve Connection Issues During Account Setup​

1. Verify Username and Password:
    • Double-check your email address and password for accuracy. Sometimes simple typos can lead to connection failures. Make sure there are no extra spaces before or after your username and password fields.
  2. Access via Web:
    • Make sure you can still log into your email account via a web browser. This confirms that the username and password are correct and your account is in good standing.
  3. Server Settings:
    • Confirm that you're using the correct incoming and outgoing mail server settings as follows:
      • Incoming Mail (POP3):
      • Encryption: SSL/TLS
      • Outgoing Mail (SMTP):
      • Encryption: STARTTLS
    • IMPORTANT: Ensure that you're entering these settings in the appropriate server fields during setup.
  4. Restart Outlook with Proper Profile:
    • Ensure you're using the newly created profile and not switching back to the old one. When you run Outlook, select the new profile you set up.
  5. Firewall/Antivirus Software:
    • Temporarily disable any firewall or antivirus software to determine if it’s interfering with the connection. Once disabled, try to add the account again.
    • If it works with the firewall/antivirus disabled, you may need to add exceptions for Outlook in those programs.
  6. Secure Connection Settings:
    • Check if you have any restrictions in your email account settings that may block non-secure connections, especially if you're using POP.
    • Some accounts also provide an option to generate app-specific passwords for use with third-party apps like Outlook. Consider checking your email provider for this option.
  7. Review SMTP Authentication:
    • When setting up the outgoing server settings, ensure that "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" is checked, and use the same login credentials as your incoming mail.
  8. Test Alternate Configuration:
    • If you're still experiencing issues, try setting up the account without using SSL/TLS (use unencrypted settings temporarily):
      • Incoming Mail:
      • Port: 110 (instead of 995)
      • Outgoing Mail:
      • Port: 25 (instead of 587)
    • Note: Do this only to test; go back to encrypted settings after testing.

Conclusion​

If you've checked everything and continue to face issues, it may be worth contacting your email provider's support for further investigation, as there may be specific restrictions or issues occurring on their end.
If you need further help or encounter specific messages during the troubleshooting steps, let me know! I'm here to assist.

It sounds like the inability to finish setting up the POP account is indeed hindering your ability to establish the new Outlook profile. When Outlook fails to create a profile due to connection issues, it can be particularly frustrating. Here's how you can get past this hurdle:

Steps to Create and Set Up a New Profile Without Account Connection Issues​

1. Create a New Profile Without Account Setup:
    • Go through the process of creating a new Outlook profile again, but this time, you can skip entering any account details at first.
    • Open Control Panel > Mail (Microsoft Outlook) > Show Profiles.
    • Click Add to create a new profile and name it.
    • Choose to configure the email account setup later.
  2. Set the Profile as Default:
    • Back in the Show Profiles window, select the profile you just created and set it as the default profile.
  3. Open Outlook Without Configuring an Account First:
    • Start Outlook with this new profile. Since no accounts are configured yet, it should open without attempting to connect to a mail server.
    • Once Outlook is open, you can go to File > Account Settings > Account Settings.
  4. Manually Add the POP Account:
    • From there, click on New and select POP or IMAP.
    • Enter your account details manually:
      • Enter your name and email address.
      • Choose POP3 as the account type.
      • For incoming server, enter outlook.office365.com and port 995.
      • For outgoing server, enter smtp.office365.com and port 587.
      • Input your username and password as necessary.
  5. Test Account Settings:
    • When you finish the account setup wizard, click on Test Account Settings. If it fails again, don’t provide too much detail at this stage; it's primarily for testing connectivity.
    • If it doesn't connect, return to the Mail settings in Control Panel and double-check your account settings for accuracy.

Additional Checks​

• Network Connection: Ensure your internet connection is solid. You might consider testing with a different network if possible.
  • Windows Credentials: Sometimes cached credentials can affect new setups. It may be wise to clear stored credentials:
    • Go to Control Panel > User Accounts > Credential Manager and look for any entries related to your email account. Remove them if they exist.
  • Windows Updates: Ensure that your Windows operating system is fully updated, as pending updates can occasionally cause application issues.

Conclusion​

By establishing the profile first without any accounts, you should be able to bypass the connection issue temporarily. Once Outlook is running without attempting to connect at startup, you can slowly configure your desired POP account.
If this still doesn't work or if you are receiving specific error messages, please share those details so I can provide more targeted assistance!

Back