Windows 7 Problem With Sounds

alfred01

Fantastic Member
Hello. I'm having a problem with the assigned sounds for various functions. In the Control Panel I select Sounds and have assigned vaious sounds for things like empty recycle bin, log off and so on. I have also assigned a sound for when I receive a new email. All of these sounds are functioning properly except for the sound for new email. When I get a new email there is no sound.

Under Windows 7 Help and Support, I read the tutorial by tblount "How to Identify the cause of YOUR problem" and followed "3. Click Start and type "perfmon /report" and press enter... it takes 60 seconds to gather a comprehensive diagnostic report and then it presents resolutions." I have attached the result but don't know if it has anything to do with my problem. I would appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thanks

P&C.jpg

Last edited:
It may have something to do with the email client which one are you using?
Mine seems to work fine in Outlook 2010.
Are you using the default "New Mail Notification" sound or are you using a custom sound that you may have created?

It may have something to do with the email client which one are you using?
Mine seems to work fine in Outlook 2010.
Are you using the default "New Mail Notification" sound or are you using a custom sound that you may have created?

Hi Trouble. I'm using Bell Windows Live and I have chosen a specific sound from the list of sounds made available. I have customized the other sounds with the same set of choices and they are all working, it's just the New Mail sound that doesn't work. Maybe I should switch to Outlook 2010. Can I download this client do you know?

Should work fine with windows live mail.
Make sure that you have the check box checked.
Click the Down Arrow to the left of Home in the menu tab bar and select
Options->Mail
General tab
Send / Receive Messages Frame
Play sound when new messages arrive check box

Outlook 2010 is a part of the Microsoft Office Suite 2010 but can also be pruchased seperately but at $100 plus U.S. dollars I wouldn't spend the bucks because my sound wasn't playing. I'm relatively certain that we can figure out the problem.

Outlook 2010 is a part of the Microsoft Office Suite 2010 but can also be pruchased seperately but at $100 plus U.S. dollars I wouldn't spend the bucks because my sound wasn't playing. I'm relatively certain that we can figure out the problem.

Thanks Randy. Actually I like this sort of thing. This is now my mission in life. (kinda sad isn't it) But I can't stop now until I find the answer. Might be a late night tonight.

Back