Windows 7 Problem with Windows Backup and Restore

kgash

Extraordinary Member

I have been using Windows Backup and Restore in Windows 7 for over three years. I create an image of C: each night and also do a file backup of D: each night. This process is automated and has worked flawlessly for me. I do not want to change to another backup system. Yesterday, when I checked my backup, I saw an error message:

Check your backup/ Invalid window handle, / Error Code: 0x80070578

Upon analysis, I found that the Image backup worked just fine. The File backup stopped exactly at 25% complete.

I tried changing the backup destination to a different external drive. I tried running the backup as a different user. I tried significantly reducing the number of files to be backed up. I tried using msconfig.exe to boot into Selective Startup mode. I ran sfc/scannow. I ran chkdsk. None of these helped.

I also did a somewhat extensive search of Google. I found a number of queries about the same problem but no real answers. The Microsoft help responses didn't even seem to recognize the problem and provided canned answers to "similar" problems with different error codes.

I realize that I have numerous alternatives and have already temporarily implemented EASUS TODO for file backup. What I am looking for is an explanation of this cryptic error message and some information leading to a solution.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

A crazy suggestion.....
delete the backup files you have in your external hard drive.
go back to Backup and Restore, start a new file backup.
Will it finish the backup this time ?

Thank you for your reply. I tried your crazy suggestion and unfortunately, it made no difference. The file backup still fails but the image backup works as it should.

quote...How about doing a system restore ?
Excellent suggestion, one I didn't try. Several more days have passed since "yesterday". The initial problem appeared with an attempted backup on Sunday, 2/2. Following your suggestion, I looked for previous restore points and found that there were none earlier than 2/2/2014

...........I looked for previous restore points and found that there were none earlier than 2/2/2014.
Are you sure ?
Have you clicked this to see more restore points ?...............
1.jpg

2.jpg

...........I looked for previous restore points and found that there were none earlier than 2/2/2014.
Are you sure ?
Are you sure ?
Yes, I have looked at all possible restore points. There are none before 2/2/2014. Perhaps the event that caused the problem I am having also wiped out the older restore points.
Since I have a current image of C:, I did a restore to 2/2/2014 and the problem was there. I then reinstalled the Image.
I can work around the problem but I really want to find out (if at all possible) what is wrong here.

I am rather paranoid about malware. In addition to MSE, I have Malwarebytes (paid version) installed which continuously checks and protects. I run an external, bootable antivirus checker each week. I also run AntiLogger to help prevent keystroke logging.

Thanks for trying. I'll keep looking but unless someone who has already solved the problem tells me how, I am not very optimistic.

Run checkdisk and allow it to fix all errors. Retry the backup. If you can live without windows backup you might try Macrium Reflect Free version. I have used it for several years and I love it. Good luck.

Jut to repeat what kgash posted :
............I ran sfc/scannow. I ran chkdsk. None of these helped.
............ I do not want to change to another backup system.

All of the suggestions have been good but none of them solved the problem. I have worked out a solution that is almost as good as the method I used to backup files with Windows7 Backup. I dug out a old program called EZBackitup which works very well in Windows 7 and is much easier to use than Easeus Todo or Macrium. I was able to setup a scheduled backup of the folders I need backed up. The one minor problem is that my scheduled backup is at night when the computer is sleeping. Windows Scheduler wakes the computer, runs the backup program fine but I cannot make it go back to sleep. (That may be a topic for a different thread.)
If anyone comes across an explanation or cause for Invalid window handle, / Error Code: 0x80070578 I would like to hear about it.
Thank you

Back