Windows 7 Problems installing Windows 7 64 Bit

borderlands

I currently have Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit installed on my computer. I would like to install Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I have spoken to Dell and they said I can do this. I put in the 64 bit CD, clicked it and I got an error message. My processor is a Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2394 Mhz. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong or how I can go about properly installing Windows 7 64 bit? please see attached image for reference , Thanks.

64bit..jpg

I currently have Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit installed on my computer. I would like to install Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I have spoken to Dell and they said I can do this. I put in the 64 bit CD, clicked it and I got an error message. My processor is a Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2394 Mhz. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong or how I can go about properly installing Windows 7 64 bit? please see attached image for reference , Thanks.

View attachment 5632

Simply stated, you can't upgrade X86 to X64 which is what it is trying to do with a single partition. Go in to your existing version and use Disk Management (rt-clk My Computer, select Manage and then Disk Management) to shrink the X86 partition to allow for unpartitioned space the size you want for your X64 installation. The next time you boot to the DVD, ask for a clean install and pick the unpartitioned space. You will end up dual booting to X86 and X64. After you get X64, you can move your data over from the X86 partition.

i called microsoft, i had to put the 64 bit disc in, restart, consistently tap f12, when screen loaded, highlighted Boot optical drive then hit enter about 10 times, and then wiped the hard drive and then installed windows 7

Back
Top Bottom