Windows 7 Problems or not ?

zipdog

I have Win 7 ultimate
My PC absolutely couldn't start. I tried everything Win 7 advised but it refused to start so after a bit of local advice it turns out my Hard drive is probably corrupt.
I was planning a complete rebuild in a couple of months for newer components and have bought that forward now and plan to do it next week....

Will I encounter licencing problems ?? I have the original licence. Bit of a stupid question really....Whats likely to happen and how can I get out of it ?

Last edited:
Is the PC in question a branded PC like Dell, HP, Gateway? If so it's an OEM licences, which means that copy of window is tied directly to that mobo. You would need a new copy of windows...OEM or retail. I recommend getting the retail version and the Pro version. It's a bit more but the best thing about it is, it's transferable, meaning you can move it from PC to PC or upgrade mobo to upgrade mobo. It can only be installed on one system at a time.

http://www.newegg.com/Operating-Systems/SubCategory/ID-368

Here you can see the price difference between the two version on windows 8.1 pro oem vs retail on the right side of the page.

Is the PC in question a branded PC like Dell, HP, Gateway? If so it's an OEM licences, which means that copy of window is tied directly to that mobo. You would need a new copy of windows...OEM or retail. I recommend getting the retail version and the Pro version. It's a bit more but the best thing about it is, it's transferable, meaning you can move it from PC to PC or upgrade mobo to upgrade mobo. It can only be installed on one system at a time.

http://www.newegg.com/Operating-Systems/SubCategory/ID-368

Here you can see the price difference between the two version on windows 8.1 pro oem vs retail on the right side of the page.

Hell no...never had a branded Pc in my life...never had a OEM disc.

I never had a problem pre-vista when rebuiding machines but this is the first time I have used newer OS known to have re-licencing problems when trying to install

I should of said sorry.....I know you can only have it installed on one system at a time but I was under the impression once a licence has been activated and updated problems can arise with installs on a new machine as in my case. and not therefore transferable.... I was aware it is possible to phone microsoft to sort out such problems but I am seriously deaf and cannot use a phone and there is no one around I can easily ask to do this for me.

I am really just trying to give myself as painfree as possible re-build of my machine.(My main machine, I am using my second machine now.)

If your copy of windows is a retail copy then you will have no issues reinstalling it on a different mobo/system. I haven't heard of anyone with a retail copy and that goes for myself, having any issues doing so.

If your copy of windows is a retail copy then you will have no issues reinstalling it on a different mobo/system. I haven't heard of anyone with a retail copy and that goes for myself, having any issues doing so.

Oh right I can hope for an easy ride then....and probably wont need to need to come back here......

You will probably have to do the phone activation for the new system. It will ask you to confirm you only have that license installed on one system.

As Long as you have Microsofts magic code you should be fine, I myself removed windows 7 from my computer due to a slow HDD but was able to re install it as long as I had the activation code.
All this is self build here too.

Back