Votes: 0 0.0%
  • XP

• 2000 or earlier

• Total voters

lukewin7x64

Here's a story for ya.

Yesterday I decided to give Windows 10 a shot because of what all my friends were saying. "OHHH ITS AMAZEBALLZ" "SOOOOOO AWSM" and such. The upgrade took a few hours but was well worth it. The programmes were exactly where I left them along with everything else. The new ui was a bit difficult to get around, but thank god it kept classic shell otherwise I would've killed myself. It worked perfectly, but I noticed some problems. Incompatibilitys to f.lux, no sleep mode and brightness was locked at 100%. Mildly dissapointed. Then it unlicenced my MS Office. WTF???? I PAID 500$ FOR A PROGRAMME THAT DOESN'T WORK?! Thats when I decided, "I'm gonna restore my system image" (that I made a day before incase something went wrong, which it did.) I looked through the control panel and created a system recovery disc, booted it up and selected system image recovery, and to no suprise, AFTER it completely formats my HDD and erases all my school work, it tells me to insert a windows 7 r e disc.
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
After I boot back up I get the infamous bios message "no os found"

No operating system found, remove any media not containing an operating system and press ctrl+alt+delete to restart.
:thud:
Windows 7 is better in every way, more attractive, faster and more productive
I just lost faith in MS. I will continue to use their products, and try to not puke, but I will NEVER EVER EVER for as long as the universe exists upgrade to windows 10, even if my life depends on it. I mean that.

My PC'S specs
HP Compaq Presario CQ45-707TU (Laptop)
The computer I wish I had
MSI WS72 6QJ-016AU (Laptop)

Hi luke;
sorry to hear about this problem for you. What program did you use to create your Image backup of your previous windows version (was it Win7?). It sounds to me like you may have used Microsoft's built-in Image backup program which is known not to work!!:shocked: I've actually written volumes about this on multiple Tech forums during the last 4 or 5 years. The real lesson here is, do not trust the Microsoft provided Image backup program, and more importantly, you should never ever have only 1 backup location external to your computer itself. In the IT world we have a guideline called the "Grandfather Principle" which states you should never have less than 3 backups; 2 of those backups on external media outside of your computer, and 1 of those at least 5 miles physically away from your home or apartment (a Cloud backup would suffice for this one). Unfortunately, most home W10 users are not aware of this requirement even though I've been preaching this to students in my classes and my Clients for over 20 years and the word has just not gotten out there to everyone.:hide:

I don't believe Microsoft will lose any sleep over losing you due to your data loss, but, I could tell you that even if you intend to keep on running W7, you should follow the above guidelines and keep at least 3 backups of that W7 system. Continuing to use the W7 and telling MS to shove it are non-mutually productive. In the meantime, you should consider using one of these 3 following Image backups which we have thoroughly tested with Win7/8x/10:

1.) MACRIUM REFLECT: FREE
2.) ACRONIS TRUEIMAGE: FREE
3.) EASEToDo: FREE

I also recommend making frequent backups onto a couple of flash drives of your most critical daily you use on a daily basis; as these are inexpensive; under $15 US each, and use copy and paste on the files/folders you need most and stick these in a drawer nearby your computer. Make daily backups of your critical data onto these 2 flash drives, no less frequently than weekly and if you suffer another catastrophic event you have the ability to immediately recover at least some of your critical data you use often right away with no delay trying to figure out how to use the backup program to restore your data.;)

Lastly, it's vital that you create a "RESCUE MEDIA" for your existing W7 setup either on DVD/CD or USB stick and to boot it and test that it actually works. The new version of Macrium v6.1.1311 now has the ability to create a modified boot menu that let's you restore your backup image from an external drive without needing your Rescue Media (DVD/CD or USB stick). A very cool feature. I've installed this on several of my W10 machines here and tested it to work perfectly. However, this won't help if your hard drive crashes so it's a very good idea to make one anyway.:encouragement:

Food for thought.

Best,
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

1. Yes I did use the built in image creation tool, which had worked twice for me before
2. I did fix if by DISKPART clean /all and then restoring the image because for some reason the Win 10 image restore f***ed up my MBR
3. I image monthly to my 500gb external HDD and Weekly to the cloud

Well I would have suggested trying to troubleshoot the issues before doing a full system restore. Sleep and brightness issues can generally be addressed with the powercfg utility. The 100% brightness is a feature called adaptive brightness which can be turned out easily. Windows 10 has faster boot times, a lower resource utilization and is more secure then the previous versions of Windows.

I found that during my trial that Win 10 actually uses more ram and CPU than Win 7 (I applied lots of tweaks) and I think my ol' 2gb of ram, integrated 1gb graphics and Celtron B820 isnt gonna live to see its 10th birthday.
Thanks for the input :)

And that a thing called the .NET enhancement service or something was using %50 of my cpu all the time (One Entire CORE!!!)

I think that in spite of all the wonderful things Microsoft and others have been saying about the Upgrade process, what you found is what almost all my clients have found and though I don't like Windows 10, that is just personal while the Windows 107 Upgrade I have found to be mostly a nightmare even for the most experienced user.

1. Yes I did use the built in image creation tool, which had worked twice for me before
2. I did fix if by DISKPART clean /all and then restoring the image because for some reason the Win 10 image restore f***ed up my MBR
3. I image monthly to my 500gb external HDD and Weekly to the cloud
>>>Thanks for your reply back. Glad you fixed it.:up: Often if software repair tools or command-line fixes don't work; a re-image or in-place upgrade or reset are often required. Good job on backing your stuff up to external media!!:encouragement:<<<
BBJ

I found that during my trial that Win 10 actually uses more ram and CPU than Win 7 (I applied lots of tweaks) and I think my ol' 2gb of ram, integrated 1gb graphics and Celtron B820 isnt gonna live to see its 10th birthday.
Thanks for the input :)
>>>You're right on the money; think about the PC you are using is a Compaq brand; HP bought Compaq back in 2002; so your hardware was designed 14 years ago. HP co-branded Compaq lines such as Presario for a few more years after that in the mid-2000s, but really did nothing to add value to the Compaq designs. During my testing for the past years on W10; I've found that older computers with slower processors, especially Celeron & Celeron-Mobile CPUs needed to run at least 4GB or RAM to be efficient. :headache: When they ran with less such as 3GB or 2GB or even 1GB; the CPU idle points went way up on usage percentage as did RAM memory:headache:. I ran lots of HW diags such as windows task manager, CPU-Z, HWINFO64, Speccy, etc. on various desktops and laptops; and the bottom line is that older hardware may RUN on W10, if you can get it to install at all--there are no PCs anyone that were built prior to 2005 that will even install W10 even with 4GB of RAM or more due to CPU instruction set limitations--will not run efficiently on W10 and that's what you are seeing. This is a clear message to you that your Hardware is both outdated and underpowered. It may run W10 now, but it may not run after the Anniversary update on Aug. 2nd, or sometime in 2017 or 2018 it will just stop working completely. I'm not saying your Compaq PC is no good or worthless, just that it's designed with 90s hardware design principles which worked fine on W95 & W98 and even Win2k, but certainly not 6 generations of windows later, W10. You'd be better off trying to convert that machine to Linux and keep it alive for another couple of years until the Motherboard just melts from old age. I play around with lots of older machines with W10, and this has been my experience. Of course it's different for each person as both their hardware and experience varies.<<<

BBJ :brew:

Back
Top Bottom