siglady

Dell Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E7500 Computer
Inspirion 545s 00
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
6GB Memory
750GB Hard Drive

Today, my computer showed .NET Framework version 4.0 in Windows Updates. I tried to get it and it would not do. It gave me error 0x80040705.

I tried to get help at CNET and think I went to the wrong place (LOL). One of the mods had me download and run the dotnetfx_cleanup tool (which I did). He also had me download and "try" to install dotNetFX_40_Full_x86_x64.exe

I tried installing the 4.0 version and that's when I got the error above. The process I did was run the cleanup utility; reboot; and install the new, but the new would not take.

That mod is now inquiring why do I want it? We seem to be going in circles and I'm really not finding out anything, so I found this forum and hope to get some help. If I do not need 4.0, I'd just as soon not get it; however, since it came as a WU (recommended), I thought I might need it.

I did go to Programs and Features in the Control Panel to see if I even had Net Framework and yes I do. I have Microsoft Net Framework 3.5.1. The box where a checkmark would go is blue and it says, "A filled box indicates only part of the features are turned on."

When I click the plus sign to the left of the item, it does show 2 other items with no checkmark in either box. They are: Windows Communication Foundation HTTP Activation and Windows Communication Foundation Non-HTTP Activation.

I don't know what this means. Am I supposed to place a check in one of those boxes? By my running the cleanup utility as recommended by CNET, have I ruined something? I'm so confused at this point that I don't know whether I need the 4.0; whether the 3.5.1 is now broken because of my running the cleanup; or what. I've thought about doing a system restore back to before all this started, but at this point, I don't know if they would be good or not.

Could someone help me please?

Thanks,

Siglady

Solution
It seems like you're encountering issues with installing .NET Framework version 4.0 on your Dell Inspiron 545s computer running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with 6GB of memory and a 750GB hard drive. Let's address your concerns and try to resolve the problem:

.NET Framework Versions and Error 0x80040705​

1. Current State: You have Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 installed, but you encountered an error (0x80040705) when trying to install .NET Framework 4.0.
  2. Cleanup Utility: The dotnetfx_cleanup tool you ran might have caused some issues.
  3. Missing Features: In the Programs and Features Control Panel, you see the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 with some optional features like Windows Communication Foundation...
It seems like you're encountering issues with installing .NET Framework version 4.0 on your Dell Inspiron 545s computer running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with 6GB of memory and a 750GB hard drive. Let's address your concerns and try to resolve the problem:

.NET Framework Versions and Error 0x80040705​

1. Current State: You have Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 installed, but you encountered an error (0x80040705) when trying to install .NET Framework 4.0.
  2. Cleanup Utility: The dotnetfx_cleanup tool you ran might have caused some issues.
  3. Missing Features: In the Programs and Features Control Panel, you see the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 with some optional features like Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) that have not been activated.

Recommendations:​

4. Check .NET Framework Features:
    • It's normal to see optional features like WCF with unchecked boxes. You don't need to check them unless you require those features for specific applications.
    []Recovery:
    • If you suspect the cleanup tool caused issues, you can try a System Restore to a point before running it. This might restore your system to a working state.
    [
    ]Install .NET Framework 4.0:
    • .NET Framework 4.0 is a recommended update, and it's beneficial for many applications. Try installing it again after ensuring your system is stable.

Steps to Take:​

[]System Restore:
    • Consider performing a system restore to a point before running the cleanup tool if you suspect it caused issues.
    [
    ]Install .NET Framework 4.0:
    • Attempt to install .NET Framework 4.0 again. Ensure your system is stable before proceeding.
  5. Further Assistance:
    • If you encounter any more issues during the installation, feel free to reach out for more detailed assistance. By following these steps, you should be able to resolve the .NET Framework installation issue on your system. Let me know if you need further assistance or encounter any more issues!

Solution
Back