Windows 10 Product Key Retrieval Help

Macky1985

Recently I made a clean install of Windows 10. I was currently on Windows 8.1. I did not wait for that free update but instead went for that clean install and ruined my free Windows update and now I am lacking lots of features because of it. Problem now is I want to revert back to Windows 8.1 but I don't know my product key. I can't do a revert because for some reason my windows.old file is missing and I can't find it.

Can someone please help me on how will I be able to retrieve/extract my previous product key? I believe mine is in BIOS as I don't have any DVD or any box for the OS when I bought my laptop.

Microsoft did away with the requiring you to do the upgrade first. All the Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 keys should work in a clean Windows 10 install. They Windows product key should either be on a sticker on the computer, or on the documentation that came with it. If it's a Dell or HP you may be able to contact the manufacturer and provide them your serial # to get the key. If you did a clean install though then there is no way to extract the product key as with the clean install it's been wiped out without doing the upgrade.

My laptop is a Toshiba and it doesn't have that multicolored sticker that shows the product key which I have with my previous Vaio. The only sticker it has is the one for Toshiba which shows what type of laptop I bought. I tried to go over the documents but i can't find any as well.

From what I've read on Toshiba's site, they may generate the key based on the hardware with their install process. Maybe someone else that uses Toshiba can confirm this. You may need to request a recovery media from Toshiba, revert back to your original OS then you can use magic jelly bean key finder to extract the Windows Product key and do a clean Windows 10 install. I know it sounds like a lot and it is, but it's probably going to be your only option. That or purchase a Windows 10 key.

Back