Windows 7 Programs won't start if computer left on over night.

Arcade

I have had a very odd problem. I have searched all over these boards and used all the repair utilities, but nothing has worked.
I will post all my computer specs at the bottom of the message.
My Windows 7 64 bit computer will run great all day long, but if I leave it on over night, none of my programs will start. If I double click on them the little circle will start up for a second, then just quit. I still have full use of the mouse and can click on the task bar to shut down or restart the computer, but no programs will work.
I have finally grown tired of having to restart it every day.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

My specs are as follows:

Windows 7 64 bit professional
Version 6.1.7601 Service pack 1 build
AMD Phenom II X4 955
Motherboard - Asus M4A79XTD EV)
Bios American Megatrends 0704
ATI Radeon 5670 running version 11.2

It tells me that IOBit live update has stopped working for 6 different days.
It will not fix the problem.
Everything else is fine.

does your computer go to sleep if not automatically then manually ?

when it returns does everything work properly ?

how many services are running in task manager before and after it stops working ?

My computer is set to never sleep or hibernate.
I have 9 services in Task manager. I have never noticed any not there after the programs stop working but I will check that in the morning as it will surely happen again. :)

what might help us here is manually making your system sleep then when it wakes up see if we get the same behavior ?

you should have more services than 9 ??
I have 163 and 48 of them are running from boot ?

Have you been turning services on and off or disabling them ?

some part of your system is likely responding to "no input" then not correctly restarting or initializing ?

If you have not changed any services behavior then I would work on the idea that a vanilla windows install would work ok but an installed program has changed or damaged a system file and or service which is now causing your problem ?

have you run sfc /scannow from an elevated prompt ?

Sorry, my fault. I was looking at my task bar not task manager.
I have 74 services running in Task Manager. My computer is still running this morning so I will check again after the programs stop working
SFC found no errors.
Can not find how to force the computer into sleep mode.
Thanks for all the ideas.

Last edited:
for the purposes of testing simply goto your start orb and select sleep instead of shutdown, your computer should turn off to the point that your hard drive will power down the screen will go blank and your desktop and working programs and anything you where working on etc will be held in your volatile ram , so as long as you still have power you will restart as you left windows ?

In sleep mode your green power light should now be flashing at 2 or 3 second intervals and one single push should restart your computer ?

let us know how it goes ?

Thanks for the sleep mode tip.
Everything went great. The system powered down, green light was blinking, and when I pushed the mouse everything came back up and running just as I left it. All programs are still working fine.

your computer seems to be behaving well currently , in fact i don't shutdown my systems anymore and only use a restart to unninstall/install or get past errors sometimes, otherwise I always use sleep mode.

you need to be able to reproduce your fault somehow ?

this could be a failing power supply or bad Ram or failing hard drive or a windows service but none of these quite fit your symptoms definitively so far ?

do you have an exact time and date this last happened ?

If you look through Event Viewer>Windows logs>System you may see some clues , suggest read this blog and create a custom view "administrative events" which will pick up just errors for when this next happens ?

Have not had time to create a custom administrative event yet.
However my computer, like clockwork, would not start programs this morning.
I tried every program I could think of and the only two that would run at all were IOBit 360 and Advanced System Care.
Here are the two error messages that were on my screen during the error:

Application Error 0xc0000142
EOSERROR in Module rtl70.bpl at 0001823A
Not enough storage space is available to process this command

Also the following errors and warnings were in my Event Viewer "Administration" from Midnight till 5 A.M. when the problem occurs.

SideBySide
DNC Client Events
Time Service
Volmgr
Application Error
WLAN Auto Config
Time Service
Service Control Manager
Wininit

Maybe some of this will give somebody a clue as to what may be going on.

Last edited:
Have not had time to create a custom administrative event yet.
However my computer, like clockwork, would not start programs this morning.
I tried every program I could think of and the only two that would run at all were IOBit 360 and Advanced System Care.
Here are the two error messages that were on my screen during the error:

Application Error 0xc0000142
EOSERROR in Module rtl70.bpl at 0001823A
Not enough storage space is available to process this command

Also the following errors and warnings were in my Event Viewer "Administration" from Midnight till 5 A.M. when the problem occurs.

SideBySide
DNC Client Events
Time Service
Volmgr
Application Error
WLAN Auto Config
Time Service
Service Control Manager
Wininit

Maybe some of this will give somebody a clue as to what may be going on.

If you have used "advanced system care" as a registry cleaner then you may have done irreparable damage ?

It's highly likely that advanced system care has removed an essential registry entry that means a program now can't complete and the system is "waiting" ?

I would be tempted to unninstall advanced system care, and IOBit 360 which you said will not update, kind of rendering it useless ?

If it has removed an essential registry key, unless you know which key, and how to reinstate it, the damage may already be beyond recovering ?

IObit 360 free will not auto update anyway, I found out.
Yes I have used all the features in Advanced System Care Pro.
Did not know that it could do any harm.
Is there a better program to use?
I noticed there is Resistry Booster Sticky thread on the front page.
Might that help?
I tried turning off AVG over night to see if it was causing the problem, but when I woke up this morning no programs would start again.
So I guess AVG is not causing the problem.
I suppose there is no program out there that would know what registry key is missing?
At least my problem is fixable simply by not leaving my computer on over night. It runs great all day long.

Last edited:
stopping a program like AVG is not going to test the theory , you would need to unninstall it ?

I personally never use anything that messes with a windows registry as at worst you can destroy an install and at best you can end up with strange problems like this :zoned:

with any windows system you only need to keep it malware free and up to date , the rest is just tweaking for tweakings sake :(

I build home , business and server systems that run for thousands of hours and never need messing with outside of the two things Ive mentioned :blow:

If it was my system i would either work backwards unninstalling programs to test for the fault or perform a fresh install or just put up with it ?

I am struggling to offer any more ideas and am aware that its very likely the registry cleanup tool that may be the cause of this unusual error :serious:

That's ok. Thanks for all the ideas anyway.
I will start by uninstalling Iobit and Advanced system Care and see it that does anything.
This is already a fresh install of Windows 7 about 10 months ago.
I have not really installed that many things to screw it up.
hopefully by working backwards I can find it.

Just to keep everybody following the thread updated.
Last night I deleted "Iobit 360" free edition as well as a program called "Nvidia Physix."
Somehow the Nvidia program must have installed with a game and I have an ATI card.
I left "Advanced System Care" installed and just unchecked the Registry settings tweaks section.
Anyway, some good news to report. All my programs were working fine this morning. :)
I'm not calling it fixed just yet as tomorrow they could just as easily be broken again, but this is a good sign as it usually happens every morning.
I will post again if it breaks or stays fixed.

OK. This should be my last post as I am going to call this one fixed.
My computer has been stable after being left running for two nights in a row.
That has not happend in a long time.
Since I doubt the problem was the Nvidia Physix program I am going to call this one solved by deleting IObit 360.
I hope this helps anyone else who has a similar problem and searches this out. :)

Back