Windows 8 Questions regarding Windows 8 upgrade

redbebop

Hi!

I'm about to complete my first custom pc and I'm down to the decision of OS. Now, I'm a college student so I was looking at the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade - Student offered by Microsoft and wondering if this would work. It seems like a dumb question, but the wording of upgrade has me think I need to already have a working Windows OS on my system before installing Windows 8. Is this the case?

Also, a side question. I'm a big gamer and classic gamer as well. I've looked up how well I'd be able to play many of my Windows XP compatible era games on Windows 8. One article reported that only Windows 8 Pro versions will have the compatibility options found in other OS like Windows 7. Is this true?

Finally, how will I know if I need the 32-bit or 64-bit version of the OS for my motherboard I purchased? The student upgrade doesn't seem to even mention what bit it is. Does it even matter what version I use on it if it's a fresh install?

It seems like a dumb question, but the wording of upgrade has me think I need to already have a working Windows OS on my system before installing Windows 8. Is this the case?

In a word..yes. See this link:

How To Clean Install Windows 8 Pro Upgrade

Also, a side question. I'm a big gamer and classic gamer as well. I've looked up how well I'd be able to play many of my Windows XP compatible era games on Windows 8. One article reported that only Windows 8 Pro versions will have the compatibility options found in other OS like Windows 7. Is this true?

You do not need to use the pro version just for compatibility mode as it's included in the regular version too. It does depend on the game though.. Most run fine apart from the odd one although I've yet to come across one that won't run.

Finally, how will I know if I need the 32-bit or 64-bit version of the OS for my motherboard I purchased? The student upgrade doesn't seem to even mention what bit it is. Does it even matter what version I use on it if it's a fresh install?

If I were you I'd go with 64bit. Use 32Bit and you'll be tied down to using below 4GB RAM.

Back
Top Bottom