Windows 7 Quick Question - Deleting from Appdata

gulliwog

Hi All,

I just wanted to confirm something for peace of mind before proceeding...

Basically I want to make 100% sure that its okay to permantly delete EVERYTHING that can be found at this address:

Local Disk(C:)/Users/<Username>/Appdata/Local/Temp/

Obviously I will leave the folder "temp" but I want to empty it completely.

I just noticed it has 30+Gbs in it and on my little 128 SSD its killing available space.

Thanks!!

That is an extraordinary accumulation of junk (Which is what it is). It will do no harm to your computer to remove it entirely. You can do it manually, but there is no need for a third party program - the built in disk cleanup (Its in the System Tools), will do it for you also. But, if that is all you want to empty, it would be best, after you have run the disk cleaner for it's initial inspection, that you UNcheck all the items except Temp Files. When completed, you will find a single .txt file remaining, which cannot be deleted by normal methods.

That is an extraordinary accumulation of junk (Which is what it is). It will do no harm to your computer to remove it entirely. You can do it manually, but there is no need for a third party program - the built in disk cleanup (Its in the System Tools), will do it for you also. But, if that is all you want to empty, it would be best, after you have run the disk cleaner for it's initial inspection, that you UNcheck all the items except Temp Files. When completed, you will find a single .txt file remaining, which cannot be deleted by normal methods.

Thank you for the advice. I do actually have CCleaner, I'm just not in the habit of using it, I always forget its there. I will probably use the disk cleanup in sys tools first, I seem to remember always running into the issue that certain files in "temp" dont like being deleted manually for some reason.

Interestingly I discovered upon closer inspection that actually the majority of the 32Gb was actually coming from only 10 files - 3 of them were called "photoshop temp158593344" (end number obviously was different for each) and the other 7 were simply called tmp2, tmp14 etc. One of the "photoshop temp" file was over 5Gb for one file!! I have no idea what there are or why they are there. They date back over the last 2-3 months - 7 of the 10 files are grouped over a couple of days and the other 3 are apparently one-offs. Why on earth would photoshop need to create a 5Gb temp file??!! I dont know if photoshop is also responsible for the tmpXX files too, it doesnt give much info. I would be interested to know if anyone can explain their existance.

Thanks again for the advice.

Back