Windows 7 Quick Update/Install Question

Zodiakh

Hello

I am currently running vista 32bit right now. Im wanting to upgrade to Windows7 but I want to install Win7 64bit and not 32bit.

My question is, if i buy this can I install win7 64bit or can I only install win7 32bit since it is the upgrade and not full.

Hope that makes sense, thanks!

Hello

I am currently running vista 32bit right now. Im wanting to upgrade to Windows7 but I want to install Win7 64bit and not 32bit.

My question is, if i buy this can I install win7 64bit or can I only install win7 32bit since it is the upgrade and not full.

Hope that makes sense, thanks!

Assuming that you have a system capable of X64 (dual or quad processor), you can install X64 to another free partition with an upgrade disk. Search the forum for instructions on how to do that. That will create an X86/X64 dual boot. You cannot upgrade Vista X86 to Win7 X64 so if you want to have a single boot in the existing partition, you will have to do a clean install (can be done with the upgrade disk... just search for instructions).

There has always been confusion about some of the terms used in relation to the Win 7 release. There is an upgrade path, which means you might be able to keep you old programs and settings by upgrading over the old OS.

There is also an upgrade version of the DVD, which only requires a qualifying prior OS installed, which you have.

Whether you go to a 32 bit or 64 bit version does not make a difference, unless you are trying to maintain your old programs, which is not normally suggested anyway.

Back