Windows install question

I bought a pc a few years back before Windows 8 was released so it had Windows 7 but for $15 you could buy Windows 8. I paid the $15 but have never installed it...just kept using Windows 7. I just got another pc but it does not have Windows installed. My question is, will I be able to install the Windows 8 version that I bought for the old pc onto the new pc without any issues? Im afraid if I do that it might invalidate my old pc that has Windows 7 installed. Thanks for any help.

ussnorway

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
Premium Supporter
If it is a stand alone installer then yes but for $15 I'd think it was only an upgrade and in that case you do need to have a licenced copy of 7 on the machine first... upgrade or not, should be cleary printed somewhere on the disc?

Not sure if its an upgrade or not. It was a download. Im assuming if its an upgrade it will not install on the new pc correct? But if it is, it should install fine?

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.