Windows 7 RAM and Page File

Rus

I have 8GB of RAM. I surf the Net, use email and play a couple of Windows games; Free Cell and Solitaire.

I also have RamDisk set at 4096MB with temp and tmp files along with temporary internet files.

The data below is first with nothing but SeaMonkey running. The second set of numbers is with Streets & Trips, Google Earth, two Word documents and two Excel pages open as well as my browser SeaMonkey.

Hardware Reserved 53MB 53MB
In Use 5578MB 5889MB
Modified 57MB 55MB
Standby 588MB 613MB
Free 1921MB 1587MB

With these numbers why would I need to have Page File in use? Isn’t my 8GB of RAM doing the job without Page File?

With these numbers why would I need to have Page File in use? Isn’t my 8GB of RAM doing the job without Page File?
8GB is working for me without paging enabled and has been for 6 months. Rarely do I ever see usage over 4GB. However with your RamDisk settings, you should keep your pagefile enabled as that cuts your available memory in half.

8GB is working for me without paging enabled and has been for 6 months. Rarely do I ever see usage over 4GB. However with your RamDisk settings, you should keep your pagefile enabled as that cuts your available memory in half.

But with so many files open, and I never have more than one of them open at a time, I still show I have over one GB Free.

It's your system, you know how it responds with the Pagefile. You have the option to disable paging. You could always disable and if you ever have issues, you could enable paging again.

Back