Windows 7 ram limit on 64 bits

union91

i have hp ultimate windows 7 with 8 gb memory but the installed memory said: installed memory 8 gb (5.24 gb usable)
it look like it has a limitation in the system, but 64 bits limits is 169 gb. help to be able to use all my memory.

Post us a bit more info yeh. Like Did Vista/XP do this, or is this the first x64 OS you have tried? Whats your graphics card and system specs? Was it a clean install?

Show ram usage in your task manager. Can be due to 1) that it uses some ram as shared video memory for Aero + 2) that it caches some system files. I think I have it the same as you report.

Cheers.

post us a bit more info yeh. Like did vista/xp do this, or is this the first x64 os you have tried? Whats your graphics card and system specs? Was it a clean install?
clean install, my pc is new i had use only windows 7, it look like vista, xp and 7 32 and 64 bits has some kind of limitation, i heard in other forum that there is a way to remove it please help to find that. My dep is working it can release somo memory sometimes. I hope we find a cure.

you should have no problem with that, I have 8 gb of ram running on 64 bit win7 and it gets all 8 gb, the limitation on ram in win7 64 is supposed to be 192gb although my motherboard nor my processor will support that, o and my wallet, but my only question to you is, where are you reading this information from your system? windows dedicates ram to different things so that may be the reason why you are seeing that...

you should have no problem with that, I have 8 gb of ram running on 64 bit win7 and it gets all 8 gb, the limitation on ram in win7 64 is supposed to be 192gb although my motherboard nor my processor will support that, o and my wallet, but my only question to you is, where are you reading this information from your system? windows dedicates ram to different things so that may be the reason why you are seeing that...

click system or task manager available 4. 176 GB for use. any other idea?????

have you tried running dxdiag? or maybe cpuid. to run dxdiag just go to search bar and type in dxdiag and enter and it should run the directx diagnostics and it should tell you about everything you need to know about your system...

have you tried running dxdiag? Or maybe cpuid. To run dxdiag just go to search bar and type in dxdiag and enter and it should run the directx diagnostics and it should tell you about everything you need to know about your system...
any new trick to make windows 7 realease the rest of the ram?

Download CPU-Z and post a screen of the memory tab.
Are you running onboard graphics that could be sharing the memory?
Try reseting the CMOS, you might have a button, or you can refer to manual to move jumpers/remove battery to do this.
Also you could try enable the memory revamp feature on your board (will have different name with different boards). Refer to maunal.

Before you do that, fill out your system specs so we can see your hardware.

You tried running memtest86?

Last edited:
Found some solution read it

any new trick to make windows 7 realease the rest of the ram?

START-- WRITE MSCONFIG--- BOOT--- ADVANCE OPTIONS---- MAXIMUN MEMORY. IT HELP TO RAISED TO 7 BUT NOT TO 8 STILL HAVE SOME PROBLEM WHEN YOU GO TO 8 GB AND YOU CLICK APPLY IT LOOK LIKE IT TAKES 8 GB, BUT IF YOU REOPEN MSCONFIG-- YOU WILL SEE 8 GB EMPTY WHERE IS SAY MAXIMUN MEMORY. TRY IT.:confused:

if your system is 64 bit capable, I would go ahead and get the 64 bit installed that way you'll get all your ram and get more out of your cpu. I haven't really messed with the 32 bit, I installed it on my laptop but decided to put the 64 bit on my laptop after initial install, didn't really poke around too much in the 32...

Back