Windows 7 random pasting of data from previous copyin one file appearing in anothe rfile

wrjonespi

After doing a copy and paste, we have, on 3 occasions so far, found the copied data in an entirely different file. Twice data from a copy appeared in an excel spreadsheet and once a picture copied in facebook appeared in an email. The excel problem is very worrysome as it is our family budget.
Does anyone have any ideas as to how this could happen? In the case of the excel events no paste operation was intentionally done.

Last edited:
This sounds very strange. Please explain in detail the clicks you do to copy data.

Are you copying files or data within files?

Example:
1. I select a text file (me.txt) from Drive C: and copy it to drive D:
2. The file does not copy to drive D: but the text in the file is now merged in me.xls

First thing I would rule out is a Virus and/or malware, spyware on your system.

This sounds very strange. Please explain in detail the clicks you do to copy data.

Are you copying files or data within files?

Example:
1. I select a text file (me.txt) from Drive C: and copy it to drive D:
2. The file does not copy to drive D: but the text in the file is now merged in me.xls

My copy and post usually consists of
1. left click hold and drag to highlight area to be copied
2 right click and select copy
3) move cursor to are where I want the data to be pasted
4) right click and select paste

The copies work but the data remains on the clipboard.

I can't be sure if the initial paste copies the data to the spreadsheet while the file is closed but I suspect that somehow another operation causes the copy againafter my wife opens the spreadsheet.

It's happened a couple of times in our excel budget spreadsheet which my wife does. She swears she does not do a right click paste operation. I have tried to duplicate the paste by hitting every key to no avail. A right click paste will do a copy
It doesn't have anything to do with the source of the copied data since it has come from facebook picture which ended up in an email, an Itunes list of podcasts to a thumbdrive and an email web address from an email to paste in the address area at the top of my browser. The latter 2 appeared in the excel spreadsheet.

I checked the net and found a stop-gap solution using a command that clears the clipboard before using the excel spreadsheet. We'll see if that helps.

Wayne

Last edited:
The copied data does stay on the clipboard until cleared or replaced, as you found out.

But the problem is the copy command being issued for some reason. I was originally thinking perhaps there was some link being used in Excel that was automatically importing the clipboard, but I don't really see why it would do that.

Second thing might be a key combination was being hit to import the data. If you did not set one up, don't know where to look, but you might check the Ease of Access to see if you have Sticky keys turned on. If this were a laptop, I would suspect the touchpad being hit accidentally. Or maybe the mouse has been set with a special key to mimic a paste operation.

If none of these seem to be relevant, perhaps reinstall your mouse driver or change batteries.

I agree. It seems like a keyboard\mouse issue. Try what Saltgrass suggested. Also, make sure you don't have any 3rd party software installed that takes over you windows clipboard.

I have the same problem Windows 7 and Comfort 4500 mouse (wired) on a Dell Vostro 1710. I restored the defaults on the mouse and will disable touch pad, which I HATE (useful on the road, though),

See I had "Comfort Mouse"in my Clipboard and my PC stuck it my itself.

It did it again! I copy paragraphs or lines of text. I was used to holding Shift and using the arrow keys.

It seems to have something to do with the Shift key. I don't type properly and sometimes I touch more than one key. It seems to be to the left of my keyboard (French Canada) with A, S, D and the shift and the capslock. Also sometimes my typing switches to Overwrite instead of insert. When you get the two problems together, try to send an email in a hurry!

It pasted the contents of my Clipboard 3 times while I was typing this.

Last edited:
Back