Windows 7 Random wake up

Drew Nolen

I have a very unique problem. My computer will be in sleep mode, and any little change in electrical current on the circuit will cause it to wake up (lamps, lights turning on or off, plugging things in, etc.) My question is, is there anything I can do to prevent the power supply from waking my computer? I feel like that's the main reason is because it monitors the power input and when that changes, it causes the computer to wake (which is annoying when I just want to turn the lamp on)

Thank you
-Drew

You might try plugging into a different house circuit. If that doesn't help, possibly some type of surge protector or UPS to even out the house current.

After it wakes, using the Admin command prompt and running the following command might show what is waking it up.

Powercfg -lastwake

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -lastwake
Wake History Count - 1
Wake History [0]
Wake Source Count - 1
Wake Source [0]
Type: Device
Instance Path: USB\ROOT_HUB\4&3a327dae&0
Friendly Name:
Description: USB Root Hub
Manufacturer: (Standard USB Host Controller)

That's what I get when I do the last wake command. I've made sure that the power surges are what's waking it and having no peripherals plugged in, just mouse, keyboard, and monitor. I'm not sure why it says USB controller, it does it EVERY TIME I turn the lamp on or off. It is on a power strip all to itself and it still does it. I've tried everything I could think of with unplugging and plugging in elsewhere, and no luck with any of them. Is there a way to disable the power supply from waking the computer just like you can with a mouse or keyboard? Is that possible?

Right now all I can suggest is to make sure the mouse and keyboard Power management settings show them not to be able to wake the computer. An active mouse can wake a system if the vibrations are enough to cause it to show movement. If you were to have it on the table where the lamp is, that might be causing it.

If you are using a wireless device, you might try unplugging the receiver to see if it stops waking up.

I've read of the laser in clear-base mice being able to sense light changes and simulate movement which causes the computer to wake, but the base on mine is black so I'm pretty sure that's not it.

It's not vibrations, it happens when other things are used too (ceiling fans in another room, turning a TV on, etc) so it's definitely the electrical current.

Back
Top Bottom