Windows 7 Random yet persistent BSODs along with display crashes.

Jayden665

Hi,

I used to get bluescreens that moslty had the error message DATA_INPAGE_ERROR, which I found out was due to my HDD, which was very old and slow. So I replaced that and don't get that error any more, but still blue screen that doesn't really have an error message.

I'm decent with computers and I have an inkling that this is to do with my power supply. It's a Corsair 650W 80+ Gold, but its about 5 years old. Another reason is that consistently my graphics card crashes my computer to a solid colour screen with a buzzing sound coming from the speakers. It even broke a while ago and I got it fixed/replaced by Gigabyte but it still crashes occasionally when under load.

Can someone confirm or debunk my suspicions?

Thank you.

Attachments

• 060916-14710-01.dmp
    403 KB · Views: 345
Code:
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff88001867561, fffff88009f28da0, 0}

Probably caused by : Npfs.SYS ( Npfs!NpWriteDataQueue+91 )

Followup: MachineOwner
Hi,
this bugcheck is often related to corruption particularly with GPU drivers passing bad code. The probable cause is a Windows system file called 'Named Pipe File system' driver for windows.
Please run these scans:
File scans
Look in the all programs section of the start menu for command prompt, right click on it, choose properties and then run as admin.. Type:
sfc /scannow
press enter and await results

Graphics driver.
Please remove using the Display Driver Uninstaller as this will also remove anything left behind by previous installs. You use it under safe mode:
Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) V16.0.0.2 Released. - Wagnardmobile Forum

Install the latest Whql driver:
Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

Your other system drivers could also do with being updated. Please use the motherboard support page to update:
GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1150 - GA-B85M-D3H (rev. 1.0/1.1)

Bios.
BiosVersion = F3
BiosReleaseDate = 05/02/2013
SystemManufacturer = Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
SystemProductName = B85M-D3H

Your bios may have updates pending. You'll notice that on the support page I linked to, up near the motherboards name you'll see links to later versions of your moBo. You need to check which version of motherboard you have by actually looking at the board itself and you will find written somewhere the revision or version number.
If your a bit unsure on the flashing bios process then leave it for now. You could always pay a shop to do it for you but we'll come back to that if we should need to.

Please ensure that browsers are the latest versions as this can effect the system.

Finally, please run Furmark for about an hour and monitor your temps using HWinfo64:
HWiNFO, HWiNFO32/64 - Download

Furmark:
FurMark: VGA Stress Test, Graphics Card and GPU Stability Test, Burn-in Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net

See if the system will crash or not and please note temps.

Post any new dump files

Hi kemical, thanks for taking the time to help me.

I ran a file scan in cmd and it came up with no errors there.
I am using the latest WHQL nVidia driver, and I did do the Display Driver Uninstaller step. I am on a fresh hard drive and OS install and have had no other drivers so I don't think thats the problem.

I opened up my case and found out my motherboard revision was 1.0. Although I had some questions regarding what to download.

Should I be downloading the latest BIOS version available F15 and flashing it? I have never flashed my mobo but I am pretty confident I could learn how to do it with some google fu.

And for the drivers section, around 10 different things came up, all for different categories; chipset, lan, audio, usb etc.
I do recall installing many of these things from a disc that came with my gigabyte mobo. Is there any certain ones I should update, or do I download them all?

Thanks.

Should I be downloading the latest BIOS version available F15 and flashing it? I have never flashed my mobo but I am pretty confident I could learn how to do it with some google fu.
I prefer to use Qflash as it flashes the bios outside of windows and so a lot safer.
To access Qflash press F8 when on the bios homepage.
Q-Flash
You will need to format a usb drive into FAT32

Download the latest bios for your motherboard.

do I download them all?

Yes please update each driver in turn as the versions on the support page are later than the ones installed.

I downloaded the files onto a USB and q flashed it, it downloaded some stuff and it restarted my pc. Although when it restarted it says Windows failed to start, and gave me two options: Run windows normally (which is what i did) and start windows in repair mode.

I'm pretty sure it worked, but is there a way to check?

I also ran fur mark for an hour and it did not crash, my temperatures rarely went over 70c.

ok, it did work, it says F15. I suppose that it did not crash during a one hour of furmark is a good sign.

If it does bluescreen again, is it safe to say that the graphics card itself is the problem?

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:
I suppose that it did not crash during a one hour of furmark is a good sign.
Yes it is and hopefully your card is ok.
If it does bluescreen again, is it safe to say that the graphics card itself is the problem?
Depending on what the dump file said then it's possible but that's all I can say really. If we need to run further tests then we can do but let's see what the dump file says (if there is one of course) and take it from there.

Post any new dump files.

After playing a game for about 5 minutes I crashed again. It wasn't a blue screen however.
My speakers make a weird electric buzz sound and my screen turns to a solid black. I also hear the windows error message sound. My monitor stays on but I can't do anything, my screen is just black.

I'm forced to restart my pc from the switch and when I get back in its like it never happened. There's no error message after I log in and there's nothing in the event viewer.

Could this be related to my BSODs or maybe its a different issue altogether, like a power supply problem?

The card is a Gigabyte GTX970 4GB Mini-ITX PCIe Video Card PN GV-N970IX-4GD

When I first got the card, it was crashing like it is now. Eventually the card stopped working altogether and wouldn't start.

I sent it to gigabyte and I'm not sure if they replaced or fixed the card, I think they just fixed it. They did tests on Furmark and other benchmark programs and it didn't crash so they sent it back. I can run Furmark for about an hour with no crashes and rarely go over 70c.

I also realised I asked you to run furmark earlier... Sorry I haven't had enough coffee yet need to wake up lol. :)

Well your PSU should be powerful enough even though it's 5yrs old. The recommended PSU size is 500W so you should have plenty spare.

You could try under-clocking the card and take about 100mhz from both the core and memory. I've known this to have success with other cases and you shouldn't notice any difference in performance.

Alright I will try that.

In nvidia control panel, do you think Power management mode should be set to optimal power (default),adaptive or prefer maximum performance?

Back