Windows 7 RC flashing screen using AGP video card

scajjr2

Ok decided to try installing the RC on an older system I have laying around. Guts are a Dell Optiplex GX270 SMT (P4 2.4Ghz, 2Gb PC2700 ram). I have upgraded the power supply to a Coolmax 500w, put in a Samsung 140Gb IDE HD, an IDE DVD drive and am using a XFX GeForce 6600GT 128mb AGP video card (yes I made sure power connector is connected to card) in place of the onboard graphics.

RC installed fine (except for having no drivers for either the onboard sound or a SB Live! card). Updated the video driver to nVidia's latest WHQL for Win7 (185.85). But with either the supplied video driver in the RC or the 185.85 the screen will start flashing randomly but does it constantly. Doesn't do it if I'm in the BIOS setup, ran fine using the g-parted LiveCD to partition the hard drive.

Just a matter of old tech?

Sam

Update

Reinstalled Win 7 RC. Had the flashing. Let RC find updated driver and install it. Showed it was a pre-release nVidia driver dated 4-2-09. Flashing stopped. Ran Windows update ( but it didn't show any hardware updates) and after rebooting the flashing came back. Uninstalled the updates and no more flashing. Granted I doubt MS cares about old hardware compatability issues but figured I post about it anyway.

Sam

2nd update

Still had the flashing. Thought maybe it was the video card itself. So I picked up a 512mb GeForce 6200 AGP card. Uninstalled the card in RC, swapped hardware, restarted and when RC installed that pre-release driver upon booting up the flashing was back. Ended up using the nVidia 178.13 Vista drivers and that is working OK so far.

Sam

Back