Windows 7 Read Only Files

nliv007

I have a game installed on my computer. All of a sudden, windows 7 has changed the entire folder to read only, and will not let me change the read-only status of the files. (Although it tells me it is changing the status)

I am the only user. I have had this computer for less than a day. What is going on here?

On further review, it has made every file in the C drive read only. Nice... Anything that needs to write to the hard drive crashes and freezes the system. Really displeased by this.

I have the same problem with trying to write to files over my wireless network. I have found the tools to share the files, remove the password requirement etc, but on the PC they show as read only and will not change that status whatever I do. This means that I cannot merge my laptop with my pc and therefore cannot back up my laptop. Solutions anybody?

First create a restore point

I'll give you a registry scip to take ownershop of all files in a directory:

Copy and paste all the lines between the quotes, paste it into Notepad, choose All Files from the drop-down menu, save the file as takeownership.reg. You have to manually type the .reg at the end of the file , Make sure you save it as an ANSI file and Save it to your deskyop
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
@="Take Ownership"
"NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
"IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

Thanks for your help I might have to go down this route, but I think that it is something Microsoft should fix! None of the updates have cured it yet!

Back