Windows 7 Reading Pane (Pain!) on Windows Live 2012

R11 BFC

Sorry if this is in the wrong section (bit clueless on it all) but i have Windows 7 and couldnt see anything for Windows Live, so here goes:

Minor and random question, but I’ll ask anyway!

On my Windows Live Mail 2012, I have all my email folders set up as – ‘Right of Message List’ for viewing purposes. Which is quite a handy feature, as you can see the message without having to click onto/go into the email itself.

I'm just a bit puzzled though in that all of my folders - Inbox, Drafts, Sent Items, Deleted Items, etc. all have this as their viewing feature (think it came as that when it was originally installed). BUT and this is the minor and random question - ALL of them that is, APART from Junk Email.

I've gone into 'View' and 'Reading Pane' and messed around clicking on various things but the Junk Email never changes to the above, even if I click on 'Bottom of the Message List' it works for all the other folders but not for my Junk Folder.

Is this just an anomaly with Junk Email or am I missing something? No big issue, but ideally I’d like the viewing facilities for all my folders to be the same.

Whilst I’m on this mini rant though, what is the point of Junk Email anyway? For starters...I still have to go in there and see what is in it (so why not just let emails go to my Inbox?) and secondly, even if the point is to filter spam - it doesn’t always work(!) including sometimes emails going in there that aren’t junk! :eek:/

If I just sacked it off and deleted the folder would everything then just go to my Inbox? Thick question I know!

Apologies for being a pain in the ar$e!!!

Hi R11! There aren't any pain in the ar$e questions here on Windows forum, however, you may have to wait for a Window Live 2012 user to respond. Sorry I'm a gmail person.:D
Members here on the forum are from all different time zones and are volunteers. If some one has a response, they will reply.
Just be patient and welcome to the forum!

Last edited:
Thanks Holdum - appreciated. I will wait patiently...

But dont get me on to Gmail as well! Oh for the days of chalk and slate!!!

Hi ! I don't have much patience either friend. I guess no one here has a answer to your issue.
I guess it's time to get out the old chalk and slate!:rofl:

Hi ! I don't have much patience either friend. I guess no one here has a answer to your issue.
I guess it's time to get out the old chalk and slate!:rofl:

Will do. Chalk and slate is very underrated:

Chalk & Slate.jpg

Last edited:
If you mean the emails in the Junk folder don't show up correctly in the reading pane, then yes this is by design. Since it's flagged as junk, most email clients will treat them more cautiously and do things like disable downloading external content. If emails are getting improperly flagged you should be able to click on them and tell it "This is not junk" or "add sender to safelist". I don't have any experience with Live per say but this is common behavior among many mail clients.

To your second question
The junk folder is there for exactly as you stated, to try and catch spam and well... junk. It is of course not perfect and with any type of security measure it will have false positives. In my opinion it does a fairly good job of catching what should go to the junk folder.

If you mean the emails in the Junk folder don't show up correctly in the reading pane, then yes this is by design. Since it's flagged as junk, most email clients will treat them more cautiously and do things like disable downloading external content. If emails are getting improperly flagged you should be able to click on them and tell it "This is not junk" or "add sender to safelist". I don't have any experience with Live per say but this is common behavior among many mail clients.

To your second question
The junk folder is there for exactly as you stated, to try and catch spam and well... junk. It is of course not perfect and with any type of security measure it will have false positives. In my opinion it does a fairly good job of catching what should go to the junk folder.

Cheers mate...i should have been more patient!

At least i know it's by design then and yeah, take your point to my second question. It's just that i have to look through it anyway, so why not just do it in my Inbox? Get plenty of junk in there! In fact, my Junk folder rarely kicks into gear tbh.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Thanks @Neemobeer ! See R11, you got a reply. It was just a little late. We all are volunteers here. Some have jobs. Some are retired and have more time to spend on the forum, but it has been my experience that everyone one gets a reply to their thread.
I hope this answers your question.

Back