Windows 8 Reallocation of disk space TO the c:drive.

Bobbie Gene

I wanted to take space from my other volume I recently created volume. HP ENVY 600G memory. Having some serious problems, but this will help of I could get some space moved over.

It would be useful to see the entire picture on your hard drive. Can you take a snapshot of the drive as shown in control panel and post it here please.

A disk management snap shot would be better.

There's a lot of if's to what you want do...but basically yes you can. You can only reallocate from right to left and in sequence. If you have physical drive and you have 3 partitions, A, B, C. You can not re-allocate C to A it has to go B. This is true only if doing this in windows, I don't know if this can be done using some 3rd party software to move partitions around.

1420263313011-1749114880.jpg

So I tried to follow youtube, they wanted me to get a program and download called eusues & that didn't work. Then, I pulked 10 gigabytes from my J Drive in my job thinking it was a hundred and that didn't work & when I tried to put it back to the C Drive and nothing will go.

A disk management snap shot would be better.

There's a lot of if's to what you want do...but basically yes you can. You can only reallocate from right to left and in sequence. If you have physical drive and you have 3 partitions, A, B, C. You can not re-allocate C to A it has to go B. This is true only if doing this in windows, I don't know if this can be done using some 3rd party software to move partitions around.
All that was greek to me. As far as the drives go, I have a C:, J: and a "New Volume" from the 10G that I was trying to add to my C: thinking it was actually 100G

Hi Bobbie,
ok hdd format 1:01
1. Your computer hdd works left too right so thats why you cann't add the new volume onto the C drive... i.e because the J drive is in the way.
2. you could add the new drive to your J drive because they are next to each other or better add (all | part) the J drive to your C drive and then make the new drive into the J drive.

3. Don't ever add a drive from the left like that unallocated space to your C drive or your system will no longer boot up... this is because windows records the starting point of the C drive and adding anything to the left side will bugger it.

p.s C drive is a dynamic term so for example if you have a 100 g drive and split that into two 50g partitions you could install a windows system * onto each of them but they would each see their own drive as C and assign some other letter to the other one… so in the example both windows 7 and 8 call their drive the c drive and it just depends on which one you boot into.

* For the sake of argument let’s assume you want windows 8 on the left side partition and windows 7 on the other one.

Last edited:
Above all in these operations there are two potentially serious problems:

1. You may lose files (both user data and system files). If you have user files on your system which are important to you then you should ensure that they are all backed up to an external drive.

2. Your system may become unbootable and/or you may lose your operating system. You should do two things to secure your system - most importantly ensure that you have burned a set of recovery disks to enable you to reinstall your complete operating system. This will reset your system to factory settings wiping all user data and installed programs. If you want to be able to recover these as well as your operating system then you need to create a system image, again, stored on and external drive You can do this using a free download of a system called Macrium Reflect.

Having said all of this, your system drive is quite big at 100GB and should be big enough to satisfy most needs unless you have some massive games installed there. The most likely cause of disk space being short on drive C if storage of user files - movies, music, pictures, downloads etc on drive C. They should be stored on your large data drive. If you move such files to a data drive and then run a cleanup using something like Ccleaner you will probably find drive C is big enough as it is and you won't need to reallocate and disk space.

Back