Windows 7 Really confused, some answers please.

GARoss

I think I understand but just a "yes" or "no" will help. I've read lots on this but some is old info that is conflicting at best. I have read this, Link Removed due to 404 Error but still have questions.:confused:

I have XP Home installed. My PC was checked & Win7 will work fine. I KNOW I need to backup all my XP data because this will be a clean install that will erase all of my XP data. So, here's my questions;

When the Win7 install disc is inserted does it detect the old version of XP or will I need to provide the XP key info or maybe both?
Do both 32 & 64 versions come in Win7 Home upgrade?
If so, can I install Win7 64bit even if I have XP Home which is 32bit?

Thanks.

I think I understand but just a \\"yes\\" or \\"no\\" will help. I've read lots on this but some is old info that is conflicting at best. I have read this, Link Removed due to 404 Error but still have questions.:confused:

I have XP Home installed. My PC was checked & Win7 will work fine. I KNOW I need to backup all my XP data because this will be a clean install that will erase all of my XP data. So, here's my questions;

When the Win7 install disc is inserted does it detect the old version of XP or will I need to provide the XP key info or maybe both?
Do both 32 & 64 versions come in Win7 Home upgrade?
If so, can I install Win7 64bit even if I have XP Home which is 32bit?

Thanks.

you can download windows easy transfer for xp from here

then after your happy you have your data backed up simply reeboot to the windows 7 disk which will run and detect XP is installed on your primary partition.

then format the drive and install windows 7 64 bit or you can choose custom upgrade and your XP user settings will be saved into a folder known as windows.old

you will have the choice of both 32 and 64 bit version on the upgrade disc and as XP will be completely removed as your Operating System your new install can be either :)

you will be able to find a way to register your windows 7 once it is fully installed :p

I hope this helps and works for you :cool:

Thanks ickymay!
Yes, your info answered everything.
BTW You can trust me, too. I'm a father of two 30 somethings. They can still give me a headaches!;)

Back