Windows 10 Recently installed Windows 10, cannot scroll on touch pad and pc much slower

john9159

My laptop did an automatic upgrade to Windows 10 Home recently; formerly it was Windows 7 Home Premium.
Since this change, the touch pad (HP G56) will not scroll on any document or web page.
When I attempt to update the driver I am told it is up to date and also that the device is working properly.
The lap top is out of warranty so HP will not offer any advice.
I also get regular warning of high memory usage which I have never seen before. The laptop is also a lot slower in responding to web browsing, reading email and just about everything else.
I’m not prepared to upgrade my RAM just to satisfy speeding up processes as all was just fine before the upgrade.
Any suggestions please?
PC is HP G56, Celeron dual core T3500, 2.1Ghz, 64 bit

Last edited:
Hi John! Many members here on the forum prefer a clean install over the automatic upgrade. There are some things you could try.
If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you could use push-button reset to refresh or reset Windows.

Refresh your PC Fixes software problems by reinstalling the OS while preserving the user data, user accounts, and important settings. All other preinstalled customizations are restored to their factory state. In Windows 10, this feature no longer preserves user-acquired Windows apps.

Reset your PC prepares the PC for recycling or for transfer of ownership by reinstalling the OS, removing all user accounts and contents (e.g. data, Classic Windows applications, and Universal Windows apps), and restoring preinstalled customizations to their factory state.

The options above are great for what they are intended for, but you could also do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything other than all installed Windows Updates.

This tutorial will show you how to do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do a repair install of Windows 10.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Windows 10
PS! It's always good to post make and model and other specs. That can help us with your issue!;):)

Last edited:
Hi John,

Any chance you may have dropped that G56 laptop? Or possibly loaned it to a friend, family-member, co-worker, etc.? Reason I ask is I had a Client drop one about 2 yrs. ago, and he wouldn't spend the money for parts; about $300, so there it sits on my triage shelf waiting for me to have parts money to fix it and give it back to him for free. He already replaced the laptop with a new All-in-one PC last month, so I think he's done waiting.

If you don't have drop damage to electronics (RAM, Hard Drive, Motherboard, Video card/chip), you can take a look at some repair methods I suggest in this post, at POST #14 from this morning here:
Have You Used Any Of The W 10 Recovery options?
So, it's important to test your hardware for this sort of thing prior to running all of these various software repairs. Also, be aware that Microsoft has what they call a "Tuesday-weekly-push update", and about once a month I get 3 or 4 calls from Clients who tell me that some item or items disappear, freeze, lag, hang-up, or just plain stop working the day prior the MS Windows update.

Bear in mind that failed hardware often mimics the symptoms of scrambled or broken software, so the only way to test this is to run a suite of hardware tests, primarily using Linux tools that computer techs use. Some Windows tools are available such as SPECCY free from piriform.com, however, they are not as conclusive as the Linux tools tests are.

When folks try the various software repair methods such as Driver uninstall/reinstall, System Restore, Windows Reinstall from factory Recovery Disks, Windows Reset, or any of the in-place methods talked about by holdum in that same post #14 above, they don't always get positive results since they never bothered to test their hardware first for what I call a "Coincidental Hardware Failure", or they didn't know that they even needed to do that.

If you don't feel like becoming a computer expert, just run the software repairs mentioned and see if you can fix things. If you can't there's a good chance you have a difficult software repair that most methods can't correct, a CHF (Coincidental Hardware Failure), or other hardware related problem. At that point you'll either have to take your laptop into your local repair shop and get it looked at with an estimate of repair cost in writing, or chuck the laptop or toss it in the attic.:waah: Older computers with Win7 or Win8x on them are more likely to fail due to the stress of the W10 upgrade process itself; if there are any weak hardware components, they will often fail during or immediately after the W10 upgrade. I see this on a regular basis with Clients upgrading to the new W10.

I'll post a photo when I get time of what that G56 looks like after the drop. :)
Oh, by the way, HP WILL fix your laptop for you; but you have to mail it to them on your nickel (about $60), and these days they charge about $250-$300 to do so. Once repaired, they will return ship it to you at no cost to you. Toshiba, Dell, Acer, and the other laptop guys are all about the same price range. You just didn't ask the right question or talk to the right Tech. Often you have to ask to speak to a "Level 2 or Level 3 Tech", but that phone call is also going to cost you money, about $39-$159. All these costs are of course the pricing since your laptop has expired from the 1 year free-fix factory warranty period. This is also why computer retailers attempt to sell you Extended Warranty plans; at a cost of 10% per year additional of warranty coverage when you buy your laptop either from a brick-and-mortar store or online. For example, a $500 laptop costs about $150-$160 U.S. to get a 3 year extended warranty on. You'll notice if you are astute, that that cost is substantially less than the out-of-warranty repair cost. Lastly, most laptop makers these days *with the exception of Dell*, design their laptops to fail from 1 year+1 day to 3 yrs-1 day.

Hope that gives you some insight on various repair avenues and strategies.
Best of luck,:encouragement:
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Hi John! Please read this while your reading BBJ's reply on this Link. Have You Used Any Of The W 10 Recovery options?
Mike and I both had MS do what we think was a in-place upgrade.
Mike said it fixed several problems he was having. Mike's reply is post #10 on the above thread!
Might give it a look!;) Sense W10 up graded your PC from Windows up dates, would be worth a shot IMHO!

What I want to do is ditch Windows 10 and revert back to Windows 7. Keeping W10 is not an option I wish to consider.

After the 30 day free trial you will need some kind of installation media. You might get lucky here. I could never get it to work, but you might give it a shot. There is also a possibility that you still have a hidden partition that will let you restore back to factory.
Other members might reply latter with more suggestions. Good luck. Hope you still have some time left to roll back.
Windows 7
Long shot!
How do I RESTORE my system to the original factory settings. HP Recovery Manager can be accessd from the Start Menu, or by tapping F11 key as soon as you power on the laptop. Recovery Manager is used to reinstall back to factory specs_also used to make a Recovery Disk set.

Last edited:
The easiest way with HP is to go to the HP website and under support and drivers you should see a way to purchase
restore disks which are in the neighborhood of $25, much less expensive than buying Windows and would include original software the pc came with.

Back
Top Bottom