Windows 8 Reinstalling OS 8.1 free upgrade

lorenkjr1

Extraordinary Member
I reformatted my hard drive the other night and put OS 8 back on. I was kinda of wondering if I would get OS 8.1 upgrade back in the Windows Store. It was not appearing there. I finally found the answer, a KB file was needed to be added to my registry to get the upgrade to show up in the Windows Store. While I certainly wish there would be this upgrade on a cd (for other reasons too), it does work, and that's what counts. For people with fast internet access, it is certainly workable. But, for those who do not; it certainly is not a great answer. And I wonder what these people are supposed to do?

Also I have been very curious as to how I might be able to upgrade my Windows Home 8 version to Windows Pro 8, since this version is an OEM. I know the serial number for it but, will Microsoft accept it? Have not run across any info on this one yet. And have not been able to confirm whether this upgrade can be obtained on disk or not?

If I'm not mistaken, MS released a update that included that KB file you're referring to. After you re-installed 8, did you get all the MS updates for the OS? I've installed 8 pro on my laptop, had it on there for a few months, fully updated and just waited for the 8.1 upgrade to be released. When it was released at 7 am EST, it showed up in my store app at 7:01 am EST. I didn't have to download a special KB file to get the 8.1 upgrade.

If I'm not mistaken, MS released a update that included that KB file you're referring to. After you re-installed 8, did you get all the MS updates for the OS? I've installed 8 pro on my laptop, had it on there for a few months, fully updated and just waited for the 8.1 upgrade to be released. When it was released at 7 am EST, it showed up in my store app at 7:01 am EST. I didn't have to download a special KB file to get the 8.1 upgrade.

Humm! I sure did. Maybe I did something wrong but, I did not have that particular file after getting OS8 up to date. Oh wait, I remember now. It would not let me download it. Some kind of error. After rebooting I tried again and had unhide some updates that I was unable to get previously. Why I got an error for that update is still a mystery to me.

I like others never experienced a problem like you described with the upgrade. Then you and others have experienced the same thing. Why some experience the hick up and others don't....is odd and strange in of itself. I'm wondering if old hardware might be the underlying issue with inadequate drivers and firmware. There's no data to back up my hypothesis...just a hunch.

AB, that link you posted is to purchase windows 8.1 not to download the ISO. This one is more appropriate......

Well if you want to do a full install of Windows 8.1 that's what you've got to do, buy it. Microsoft won't give it to you for nothing. You have to buy it online from Microsoft, then you get the ISO to download along with the product key.

Well if you want to do a full install of Windows 8.1 that's what you've got to do, buy it.
No you don't! With that link I provided you can download the the upgrade, turn it into a ISO or a bootable USB and then preform a clean install. It's how most of us did a clean install of 8 to 8.1. Did you even open the link and follow the pictures.....look at spot, see spot run, see spot download ISO, see spot clean install windows 8.1 with ISO......

In the link provided has a link in it to here....
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

Yes I read that link. It says you can download the Windows 8.1 ISO with the Windows 8 product key but you need a Windows 8.1 Product Key to be able to install Windows 8.1. So all you get is the ISO but if you don't have the Windows 8.1 product key,it won't let you install it.

NO YOU DON'T!!!! Again, you're wrong...if you did read it, it clearly states in the header to "TO UPDATE TO 8.1 WITH JUST THE 8 PRODUCT KEY".

"Upgrade Windows with only a product key
If you bought a Windows 8.1 or Windows 8 product key, you can download and install Windows from this page. You'll have the option to install Windows now, later, or using media with an ISO file."

.http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

I don't know where you're getting your information from, but you are sadly misinformed.

Absolutely correct. However, I also bought a new laptop at the tail end of last year. They do seem to handle OEM purchases quite the same.

Even with that guide you still can't do clean install with a 8 product key. It even says so multiple times. Not that I really care as I have a windows 8.1 product key.

Back