Windows 7 Remote Shutdown Failure

Cardinal System

Honorable Member
I tried to use remote shutdown (shutdown /i) to turn off one of my upstairs computers that I did not feel like walking to, but when I started it, I got an error saying "Access is denied. (5)". I made sure to follow the steps correctly, I opened CMD as administrator, typed "shutdown /i" hit enter, typed my computer's IP in the popup-window, selected "Application: Maintenance (Planned)" added my comment, and clicked okay. But then I was confronted with the error. Is there a way to enter the "upstairs computer"'s settings and allow the "downstairs computer" to access it?

Try authenticating first via NET USE.. Use the credentials you have to the remote computer, then try the shutdown command.

NET USE \\RemoteComputer\IPC$ mypassword /USER:myuser

Since these computers are not in a domain they do not share credentials. An administrator account on one computer has no permission on the other. You can use psshutdown PsShutdown it has a /u (user) /p (password) arguements you can supply it. Make sure you give it a local admin from the remote computer in the form /u <remotecomputername>\<remoteadmin> /p <remoteadminpassword>

You should be able to still authenticate, but you would have to also pass the Machine Name along with the username. For instance if the target machine is named Machine2 and an account with administrator rights is named Bob you would use
Sometimes this may fail due to firewall issues. A good way to test would be to map a drive to the local machine, using the same method for the username.

NET USE \\Machine2\IPC$ password /USER:Machine2\Bob

You should be able to still authenticate, but you would have to also pass the Machine Name along with the username. For instance if the target machine is named Machine2 and an account with administrator rights is named Bob you would use
Sometimes this may fail due to firewall issues. A good way to test would be to map a drive to the local machine, using the same method for the username.

It keeps returning the error
Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.
I changed "Machine2" to the computer's name which is "mypc", but that didn't work; so I changed it to the computer's IP. Still didn't work. Where you said password in
, I changed it to the password for desktop "Catherine" on the other computer, and changed
/USER:Machine2\Bob
to
/USER:mypc\Catherine
. Still didn't work. What am I doing wrong?

Either use PsShutdown as Neemobeer suggested or map a drive to the target computer first (and let it save the credentials) to see if that works.

Back