Windows 7 Removable Disk and empty files problem

Jerry000

I have a kingston 15GB USB and when i plug it in it shows me instead of usualy KINGSTON, it shows me Removable Disk. It also shows that it is not empty: 60,08MB free of 15,0GB. But when i click on it, it says Empty folder. I allready look for hidden folder option but nothing. Is there any way to see my files? What can i do? It seems like the files are there but i cant reach them (virus?). I scann for viruses witm malwarebytes...but also 0. Doesnt even find folders. Please help me, i need those files on my USB :(.

I am using Windows 7, 64bit

Please help me, i need those files on my USB :sad:.
You really must keep backup copies of important data. Memory sticks are perhaps the most vulnerable of storage devices.

Try recuva - free from here:

Recuva - Undelete, Unerase, File and Disk Recovery - Free Download

First just try running the program and see if it can detect any files. It may well not do so as it sounds like the formatting of your kinston drive has been corrupted. If so then try formatting the drive and if it reformats ok the try recuva again.

How could recuva help if i didnt delete anything? It shows that my USB is full, but i cant see the files (i allready say this, i allready check for hidden folders...doesn´t work).
And for backup...yea i know, i forgot to backup it :(. I wont do nothing with formating...maybe i can bring USB to company who is dealing with this sort of things...but ill do that if all fails

Try the flash drive in another port, or another computer. Does it have its own software for access, or was it a clean drive? For instance, when you plug it into a new system, does it install any software?

i try on other ports and on 4 different PC, no luck by now. And no, it doesnt need any software, you just plug in and its ready

@Joe S, does recuva restore directories (maps) or just the files? Because its around 10.000 files, withouth maps they are useless

How could recuva help if i didnt delete anything?
The basic problem is that your file system structure has been corrupted so that although the data is still there your system cannot see any of it - directory structure is needed to see files and folders. That is why I suggest you reformat the drive - it will put back all the directory structures. The you can run a program like recuva - it will find any lost files and folders even after you have reformatted - this is your best chance to get your files back.

Well the problem is i am scared to format it. What i did now was go into folder option and chech to show hidden files and uncheck the hide protected OS files. My flash drive now shows:

http://i.imgur.com/DPlEHIC.jpg

And in one folder it shows:
http://i.imgur.com/vFM4A2H.jpg

Now the problem is, there are 10.000 files unsorted by any directory, i converted .chk files to original and i manage to restore files...but all are unsorted and renamed to fileXXXX.jpg. Aperently i have no original files on my pen drive, i have only .chk files.
Can please someone tells me how can i do another chkdsk and to save those .chk files so i can recover them again? I think there are more than 10.000 files

chk files are fragments of files recovered by the chkdsk utility. They may contain useful parts of a file and may be of some use in recovering bits of files, especially if just text but as part of lost jpgs they are rarely of much use. It is also worth remembering that the more "tinkering" that is done with a corrupted disk the more likely it is that recovery chances will be further reduced.

Back
Top Bottom