Renaming file automatically highlights the extension

When I rename a file, the entire file name, including the extension, is highlighted. This means that if I just start typing, the extension is erased. How can I make it so that only the name is highlighted?

I still need the file extensions to be shown, I just don't want to have to change them as the default.

Josephur

Windows Forum Admin
Staff member
Premium Supporter
When you press F2 to rename a file it highlights the entire file including the extension? That is odd because since Windows 7 it has been set to NOT include the extension when the file gets renamed, they did this because some users would rename a file and then it would not open as file extensions are how Windows associates what to open a file with. There are many people asking for what yours is apparently doing and selecting the entire filename in the highlight. So far I have seen no way to change this behavior, no registry setting etc.. odd that yours is doing that which some users want.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.