Windows 8 Running executable files from the Windows explorer address bar without typing the extension

Robert Thompson

I have a question about running "executable" programs in Windows without having to type the extension.

I've recently learned that, in addition to the command prompt and run box, you can also run executable files (.exe, .bat, .lnk, .vbs) from the Windows Explorer address bar. The only problem is, except for .exe and .bat, every file (including links) requires that I type the full name including the extension. So, for example, if I have a link to a program called "b.lnk", I can run it from the DOS command console or Windows run box simply by typing "b", but from the address bar I have to type "b.lnk". I find this annoying.

I tried editing the environment variable PATHEXT and adding ".LNK" to it, but to no avail. I still have to type "b.lnk" to run it from the address bar.

Does anyone have any ideas?

LNK files cannot be auto executed as such and I don't believe they can be made to do so. They are not executable, rather an extension of the Windows Explorer/Shell opens them.

Back
Top Bottom