Windows 7 repair disc created by win 7 64 bit not compatible with this system

Ianmac22

I installed win 7 Pro on a new build: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD7 + i7875 + 8Gb Crucial DDR3.

Made system backup and created System Repair Disk. A few days later (and a few backups later as various software loads were made) the system crashed while I was attempting to email photos from Picasa via its link to Outlook 2007.

Screen went blank and on restart neither normal nor repair start worked (latter recycled to POST continuously).

So, got out the repair disk, made by this system earlier - and after keyboard choice it tells me that the "repair disc created by win 7 64 bit not compatible with this system".

"Scream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

'Memtest' gives clean report.

Any help or ideas?
Thanks, Ian.

Go into the bios and Load Optimized Default settings. Save. See if it boots to normal mode and if fail, then try safe mode + networking.

If either works, please let us know.

If neither works, boot to Knoppix disc that you can download and burn. Post the crash dumps from there. They would be at this location of the boot drive (drive with Windows on it):

\Windows\Minidump

Zip the contents in there then attach.

If you post them from Windows safe mode + networking, then copy them to another location first, before zipping them.

Hi. Thanks very much for your immediate response. I had loaded both safe and optimised bios defaults and tried safe mode with networking. Followed your advice re Knoppix, (could get used to Linux, if I didn't need Windows!)

Two .dmp files attached - there was a third one but of zero bytes - :

View attachment 121810-61667-01.dmp.zipView attachment 121810-63024-01.dmp.zip

I've had a guess that the problem may be related to my boot drive; it is not on what the bios sees as the master 0 port, and Win7 insisted in putting boot folder on one of the raids using that port. Solution may be the basic one of replug drives and spend next two days reinstalling everything ... ... always the learning curve ... but you may, hopefully, have a better solution!

Anyway, thanks for your help. Ian.

From Knoppix, delete these files in \Windows\System32\drivers:

AVGIDSDriver AVGIDSDriver.Sys Tue Aug 03 18:24:45 2010
AVGIDSFilter AVGIDSFilter.Sys Tue Aug 03 18:23:21 2010
avgmfx64 avgmfx64.sys Mon Sep 06 20:49:14 2010
avgldx64 avgldx64.sys Mon Sep 06 20:49:29 2010
avgrkx64 avgrkx64.sys Mon Sep 06 20:49:37 2010
AVGIDSEH AVGIDSEH.Sys Mon Sep 13 18:46:38 2010
acs6nts acs6nts.sys Wed May 26 02:28:54 2010

And delete these files also:

\Windows\GVTDrv64.sys
\Windows\gdrv.sys

------------

Then boot to safe mode + networking to download and run the AVG removal tool. Do the same for Zone Alarm.

Reboot to normal mode and install MSE.

Then also install this Microsoft patch:

An update that improves the compatibility of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 with Advanced Format Disks is available

Last edited:
Deleted files as suggested, tried to boot 'safe+netw' got "windows loading files" - white strip across screen - then reverted to POST again.

Is it your view that AVG was causing the problem?

Thanks. Ian.

No, the ATI video driver was causing the problem. It's not the actual driver's fault though, and AVG could have played a role in that, but apparently not. Here is what to do to fix it:

Power off machine.

Remove video card.

Plug monitor into motherboard.

Use Driver Sweeper in safe mode to clear all ATI files.

Power off. Re-install card.

Reboot and install latest driver.

Phyxion.net | Driver Sweeper | Products | Products

ATI

(The card may be defective, so in this case, try booting to normal mode with card out....if needed after all that.)

---------------------

If no video port on motherboard, use Knoppix to delete:

\Windows\System32\drivers:

atikmpag.sys
atikmdag.sys

Then boot to normal mode and install latest driver.

Last edited:
No vid port on GA-P55A-UD7. Was already using latest Catalyst suite downloaded direct from ATI website.
Deleted those two files, no change - "windows loading files" - white strip across screen - then reverted to POST again.
Thanks. Ian.

Video card is very likely defective, based on how the machine is acting and especially after you've set the optimized defaults in the bios.

Best way to find out is to install any other compatible video card you may have around or borrow one from a friend and see how it goes.

You could even test the video card in another machine to see how that reacts in that scenario.

Basically, try to rule out or in that the problem is in fact the hardware (card.)

Thanks.

I've got a PCI video card in the spares box; after that I'll try to strip one from another machine.
Anyway, thanks for your advice.

BTW, what would you advise for reading .dmp files?
I'd like to try learning a bit about interpreting their content.

Regards, Ian.

Back