Windows 7 Repairing some win apps ask for files such as: 87a8ef12f0d3c834d1a2a8b7f571 that aren't available?

TomJ

Hello all,
When I sometimes try to repair applications thru 'Programs and Features' there is a popup window asking for the following types of files:

d:\87a8ef12f0d3c834d1a2a8b7f571e43d2

Of course these files are no longer around so I select the Cancel button to end the process. My real question is how do I achieve a successful repair for an application when these files are no longer available?:concern:

Thanks in advance . . .
TomJ.

Well I can tell you that the folder name looks very similar to what Microsoft Updates (Windows Update) uses to temporarily unpackage an update file as needed during installation, then is deleted during cleanup after they install.

Do you have all current Microsoft Updates and Service Pack?

Thanks Josephur, for the quick response. When this file popup appeared, I was trying to repair part of my Visual Studio 2010 Express package. I kind of had a hunch that MS was using directories like these as encrypted temp files, but since I have a few of these files hanging around from prior updates, the .msi installer doesn't always clean-up like it should. Since this is my Win 7 side, I'm always keeping up to date on the latest fixes they MS provides to me. The popup offered me the option's to 1) Customize, 2) Repair, or 3) Uninstall.

Since I don't have this file anymore I guess I'll have to reinstall the entire package and reapply all of the specific updates that go along w/ VS 2010 unless you might have any other ideas.

It may not even be related to Visual Studio 2010, I've seen Windows Installer sometimes get stubborn and ask for old installation files from something you removed or attempted to remove before. It's almost like it has a list of unfinished business and tries to finish it when invoked. You could start with reinstalling VS 2010 and your updates, I'd be curious to see if the Event Viewer could shed some more light on the issue, is it logging anything when this happens?

As much as I hate "Registry Cleaners" there is one by Auslogics that has never steered me wrong or hindered a system with negative effects, and I'm pretty sure it checks Windows Installer locations and repairs errors if found, you may create a System Restore point and give it a try.

Back