Windows 7 Replacement hard drive space not correctly displayed Windows 7 Professional 64 SP1

steverino

Hello - last weekend I was trying to recover the contents of a failed hard drive to a new hard drive using Windows System Repair Disc and Windows System Image. Thanks to this forum I finally was able to successfully restore the image. Everything is working fine, but here is my question - the original hard drive was 750 GB and the new one is 1TB. After doing the system restore the hard drive properties show the identical size of the failed drive - not the new larger size. The BIOS shows the correct size. Does the Windows System Image set up the new hard drive exactly as the old one, so it will only access the original 750 GB? Is there any way to correct this so the added GB's can be used?

Thanks in advance

Hello steverino,

The restoration you did will show the old drive size, however, if you go in to Disk Management you should see the rest of the 1Tb drive as unallocated, which you could then use the Windows tool to either extend your current drive size or make a new partition.

Hope this helps,
Don

Hi Bill - Thanks for the reply. I do see the added space as unallocated using the Disk Management screen. I did click through al the tabs/options, but couldn't figure out how to extend the current drive size. It would be great if you can provide some tips on how to accomplish that. Thanks!

Using Disk Management, I have 4 areas for the new drive. The areas are System, C, Factory Image, which are labeled blue, and unallocated which is labeled black. If I right click on Factory Image, I have the option to extend. System and C do not have that option available. And when I right click on the unallocated area, the only option is New Simple Volume. Thanks.....

Right, with Disk Management you can only extend the partition that is directly adjacent to the left of the unallocated space. You have 2 options:

1. Image the Factory image and delete that partition. Then extend C to the tune of the unallocated space you see now. Then make a new partition of the rest (which should correspond to the size of the System image) and dump the image back in.

2. Extend the system image partition. Then use Partition Wizard and shrink the system image partition to the left (see picture). Then extend C.

2012-04-28_2105.png

Last edited:
Back